1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California License Plates + HOV Sticker

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ArtVanDelay23, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ArtVanDelay23

ArtVanDelay23 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any idea how long it takes to receive California license plates? How are they shipped?

To obtain the HOV sticker, we need our new car license plate numbers

2. estebinbin

estebinbin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I myself have questions on how to get the HOV sticker. Do you have to apply or does it get sent with the plates?

3. ArtVanDelay23

ArtVanDelay23 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You have to apply for the HOV sticker separately. There is a section that requires the license plate number associated with the Prime.

Request Rejected <- HOV sticker application link

4. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unless I'm mistaken, some dealers, like Diane at Carson Toyota, did the paperwork for the HOV stickers as soon as they had VINs and made stickers available when you took delivery.

5. iwdwebman

iwdwebman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was told it takes up to 6 weeks to get the plates in CA. Last time though it only took two weeks when I was told 6 that time as well.

They are shipped usps of course.

Some dealers do have the ability to do the hov stickers at the time of purchase. Not sure the requirements for them.

apt5020 likes this.
  6. lroki

lroki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I received my car last Friday (Nov 11) and my HOV stickers arrived in the mail last Thursday. April Conner, my sales rep at Tustin Toyota, had submitted the application for me.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    People are saying that they are going to stop the green stickers when they expire in 1/19 because the carpool lanes are too crowded. Then, on the news this morning, the CHP said they estimate that 24% of the traffic in the carpool lanes in the Bay Area are there illegally. Seems they need to step up enforcement rather than let this program expire, if you ask me.

Kurt Weiske and ttait like this.
  8. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have picked up my prime this morning. The finance person told me that I can proceed and send out my green sticker application before receiving my plate. Is this true?

In stead of the plate number, it's the red temporary numbers on the windshield. He was saying to put this number in top-left application and will work. Wondering if anyone agree?

iPhone ?

#8 yoyoman, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect we will hear future proposals in the next CA legislative session.
    There will probably be another move to extend the program, one such attempt died last session but I suspect may be revived.
    The one thing sure seems like a lot of folks want to kick the original PiP out of HOV as of 1/19.

10. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So do we need to wait for the license plate in order to apply for the hov sticker?

iPhone ?

11. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The answer is yes. I have found in the DMV website.

iPhone ?

gohanvox likes this.
  12. Daniel L

Daniel L Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How are some of the dealers able to stock up on stickers to give to owners as soon as they complete a purchase?

13. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure.. my dealer (finance guy) was telling me is ok to just send the application out (with the temp numbers on my windshield) but I was too afraid that my application will be rejected - End up taking longer to get my sticker.
    The procedure in DMV website clearly stated "Yes" for the license plate number (under FAQ) so I have no idea how the dealer can get the sticker ahead of time. Maybe under-table deal with DMV???

By the way (just in my case), my finance guy at the dealer was not able to sell me anything in extended warranty or finance or other add on options like thief protection, color coat protection, and other. I can tell he was frustrated and maybe ended telling me all BS about the HOV application.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  14. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My dealer told me they can get the plate number ahead of time from the DMV in a few days.

You also need the plate number for the $1500 California rebate.

#14 MikeDee, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  15. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just call the dealer. Answer is "no". They can't push the process and will not know the license plate numbers. Their job is to submit the doc and we will have to wait for it. Current waiting time is 3-4wks according to my dealer.
    Suck...

iPhone ?

16. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My delama is that I want a personalized plate on my prime. Do I have to 1.buy the car so I know the VIN number then 2. apply for the plate, then 3. apply the HOV sticker ? It looks like a very slow process though

17. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I will recommend just get the default plate asap and get the hov sticker in highest priority.. or before the sticker run out.

iPhone ?

18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hey, what happens if you drive across a Bay Area bridge, having no plates, and your FasTrak tag doesn't beep/register?

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You get a free ride...

Due to the HOV toll lanes, I don't carry my fastrak with me. I haven't been bothered to get the new switchable transponders.

20. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My two cents...back in 2006 when the yellow carpool stickers were running out, I called the DMV every few days to see if they could give me my plate number so that I could send in the sticker application before I received my plates. After a few days of calling, I did get my plate number over the phone and was able to submit the application before I got the plates in the mail. I want to say I got the stickers fairly quickly (maybe within a week?) and the plates maybe a day or two before.

I guess worth a shot for those of you who need it? I now commute 7 miles to work (vs 45 back in 2006 and mostly all freeway) and don't use the freeway, so I'll just submit my sticker application whenever I get my plates.