1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California: No More (I-10 & 110) Toll Lane HOV Free Access as of 3/1/2019?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by sillylilwabbit, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    “Metro ExpressLanes is making changes to its Clean Air Vehicle Policy that may affect you.

Starting March 1, 2019:
    • Customers with a clean air vehicle (CAV) displaying a valid DMV-issued red or purple CAV decal with a copy of their vehicle’s official California DMV vehicle registration provided to Metro ExpressLanes, are eligible for a 15% discount off of the posted rate on the I-10 and I-110 Metro ExpressLanes.

• All clean air vehicles must set the switch on their FasTrak transponder to indicate the actual number of people in the vehicle for a given trip. CAVs are no longer allowed to use the 2 or 3+ transponder switch settings unless that many persons are present in the vehicle. Any CAVs incorrectly using the 2 or 3+ switch setting without that many occupants in the vehicle will be subject to CHP citation.

• Other CAV vehicles (including those with yellow, green or white CAV decals) will not be eligible to receive any CAV discounts.

As a reminder, all vehicles traveling on the I-10 or I-110 Metro ExpressLanes must properly mount a FasTrak transponder. Carpoolers must have a FasTrak Flex (switchable) transponder that is used to indicate the number of occupants in the vehicle. Eligible carpoolers with a FasTrak Flex set to the proper position can continue using the Metro ExpressLanes toll-free.

The I-10 and I-110 Metro ExpressLanes have different toll-free carpool requirements as follows:

On the I-10 Metro ExpressLanes*:
    Vehicles with three or more occupants travel toll-free at all hours.
    Vehicles with two occupants will only pay a toll during peak hours
    (Monday-Friday from 5-9am and 4-7pm).
    On the I-110 Metro ExpressLanes*:
    Vehicles with two or more occupants travel toll free at all hours.
    Your continued choice to use the Metro ExpressLanes is greatly appreciated!”

Is this true? No more free access to the HOV Toll lanes?

IMG_0204.jpg

iPhone ?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have some similar issues in Virginia where Hybrids were recently kicked out of the HOT-2 (future to become HOT-3) lanes, and the toll on the HOT Lanes approaches $40 to go just a couple miles into DC. We have dynamic tolls to keep vehicles off when the traffic is heavy. Not me but those Virginians who were depending on long commutes via free clean fuel HOV are needing to reassess their approach.

Virginia actually invented free HOV for hybrids, California made it famous. We actually have exteremly successful car pooling on I95, but I66 has proven less amenable to that approach.

3. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is horrible.

I was at a point in which I was going to trade in my car (California Green sticker which expired 1/1/2019), for a used (maybe new) vehicle that is eligible for a Red Sticker so that I may continue to use the toll HOV lanes to get to work.

iPhone ?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well we have some geographic (Potomac River) and political (Arlngton Va, Maryland have been fighting expanded roads) choke points, so it can be hard to get around. Also we cannot get taxes for the roads so the state likes the HOT lane approach where the tolls pay for the road.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i passed those on wednesday. couldn't believe the prices posted, and it wasn't even busy

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Threads like this make be so thankful for where I live and work. In the 22 years I've lived where I live and worked where I work, I've hit traffic on my way to work exactly zero times and only once on the way home (because of a massive ice storm and everyone was rightly driving 5mph). And I've never once paid a toll in my home state.

I feel bad for those who have to get around in the DC area. I worked there for two weeks a couple of years ago, and remember one point where I literally got out and walked and beat the car and it's driver to our hotel.

7. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    just switch it to 3 ;)

8. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Good riddance. HOV should be used to reduce traffic, not selectively promote products.

frodoz737 likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like everyone does it, there's no enforcement whatsoever in those lanes. You see 25 year old beaters on there, no way they'll pay the $6.00+ toll 1 way. Those lanes are busier than ever

10. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $6.00?

Where I am it is $15.00 one way to use the HOV lane.

Cheaper to buy another vehicle or relocate closer to work and pay extra for rent

iPhone ?

11. blanka98

blanka98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone received their purple sticker yet? I sent out my application on Jan 2nd and my check hasn’t been cashed yet.

iPad ?

12. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Same.

13. blanka98

blanka98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wohooo received mine today!!!

iPad ?

14. LilyHere

LilyHere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where do you live? I don't know what it's like to not have traffic.

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Westminster Colorado, and my work site is out off the beaten path between Boulder and Golden so I never hit traffic. I see cars on my way to work, but the only time we drive under the speed limit is when the weather requires it.

Lucky. Very lucky.