1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California shoreline legal status

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Feb 23, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is an interesting situation and somewhat unusual

https://www.coastal.ca.gov/whoweare.html

There have been many challenges in court since 1972 A current one is among the larger

Martins Beach: Vinod Khosla's case goes to Supreme Court

No one has been successful in court against the fundamental, which is "CA shoreline is not private property". Providing access to the shore (through your private property) has been most of the fuss.

Oregon has a milder version of this law but AFAIK it can be private property in all other states.

#1 tochatihu, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love the way cali does the shoreline, so available to the public compared to the northeast. i hope this effort fails.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Started in 1972 when CA voters approved Prop 20. Very few slices are 'contested' but those that are get 'Coastal Commission' treatment.

Unique exception is Vandenberg Air Force base which for national security has been 'taken'. Everybody seems OK with that. Has been a long time since I linked californiacoastline.org here. It does archival photos from helicopter and only omits Vandenberg.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the northeast, we even contest the land between high and low tide. snobs don't want lowlifes walking in front of their houses.
    many of the lawsuits have been brought by waterfront owning pols.

i was awestruck on my first trip to cali, back in the day. all we have are a few public beaches in comparison.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Everyone appreciates land/sea interfaces. I mean, dang, we are creatures of 29% and look out there at 71%. Also, it often presents scenery, and somehow, laying about on geomorphologically boring beaches and hearing waves swoosh is pleasant. One can see interesting biology at the interfaces. One can surf if sharks are elsewhere or otherwise well-enough fed. It is also a place where people remove most of their clothes and that is not always unwelcome :rolleyes:

Beaches are thus hot commodities. Top-money people get that, and buy, whether to wholly own, or to monetize access for 99%.

California is a rare example of 99% ruling, and Prop 20 just kinda snuck through:).