1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by innov8v, Jun 20, 2005.

1. innov8v

innov8v New Member

If I decide to follow California law to the letter (which, as I understand it, does not permit front windows/windshield to be tinted), is there enough benefit in doing the rest of the car to make it worthwhile?

2. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(innov8v\";p=\"100255)</div>

In one word....

YES!

I myself decided to tint ILLEGAL. I had 50% put on the side fronts I had them do a windshield strip shade that is about 6 3/4 inches from the top which is ILLEGAL as you can only do a 4" strip on a non AS-1 windshield. I am still one row above the black dots behind the rear view mirror and still above where the visors hit the windshield.

The rest of my tint is legal as you can do the backs at any tint level you want in CA.

I used FormulaOne Pinnacle (ceramic) and notice a big heat difference between the Prius and the legal tinted Mazda.

3. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

I think so. But then again, I also had my front passenger and drivers side windows tinted despite the legality of it. My GF is highly succeipible to sunburn and with our 120Mile R/T commute, not having tint would be pretty difficult. I know, I know, I've been pushing her to go to a doctor and get a note, but as I'm sure is the case with most of us, she hates going to the doctor (No offense to any doctors on here).

In my previous car (civic) I originally only had the rear three windows tinted. I noticed an immediate difference in terms of heat and glare coming from the rear of the car. Eventually (1 year later) I went back and had the front windows tinted too. WOW, that made an even huger difference in terms of heat and glare. Unfrotuantely, I had to remove the front tint about a year ago after I got another fix-it ticket for it. It would've cost me $214 to pay the fine.. Note, the front tint cost me $40 to have installed. I do plan to get the front windows tinted agian, but I don't drive the civic much anymore so I'm not in a rush.

In the 8+ years that I've had my Civic tinted, I've gotten two fix-it tickets for front window tint. F

Conclusion
    Cost of front window tint = $40
    Cost of fix-it ticket = $10
    Not getting skin cancer = Priceless

--GD

4. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

GeekyDragon,

What percentage did you do on those front windows? I used 50% still illegal here in CA but a noticeable visibility difference with regard to front and back viewing from the outside with 15% on the back.

[​IMG]

I await my first fix-it ticket. My tinter has has this combo on his company truck and his wife's car for several years although not Pinnacle.

5. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Hi RadMarv
    We too got 50% in the front and 20% in the rears... I noticed you got the little front windows tinted too. Looks nice. We didn't bother with those two since I didn't think it would make a difference, but not sure. I might still og back and gtet those ones tinted. I would post a pic but my hosting company seems to be down. Will post a little later.

--GD

6. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

7. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    RadMarv,

Who did your tinting? It looks great. I'm in San Ramon and looking for a local installer.

Thanks!

Patrick

8. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Patrick,

California's Fantasy in Concord

Phone: (925) 827-8937

They are on Franquette Ave. Their internet and yahoo lookup address is wrong as they've moved.

Marv

9. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :mrgreen: Thanks!

10. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Personally I wouldnt just tint the rear windows but I think for you it'll be worth it. It'll help the car remain cooler and your rear passengers will get to enjoy it.

Obviously most people would rather not dea; with running around with illegal tint. To me its a neccesity. Granted I dont like how any car looks untinted but thats not the main reason I got my windows tinted.

I would have loved to gotten the front windshield tinted as well (very lightly) but I figured I wouldnt push my luck.

Its funny how most of you are from here in CA yet I havent seen one other Prius with tint here in San Diego. I think I see at least 5 a day.

Anyways Here's a picture of mine the same day I bought her. Drove straight to the tint shop. :D
    [Broken External Image]:http://img195.echo.cx/img195/1890/prius0tw.jpg

11. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Thanks to all for your thoughts and recommendations. Took the plunge yesterday and went with Huper Optik. I did end up tinting the front windows and windshield after all, with the lightest tint Huper offers. In just looking at it from outside, it's hard to tell it's been tinted, but still manages to cut down on the heat inside the vehicle. Went with a tint that's quite a bit darker for the rear passenger windows and back window. Came out great, and I'm glad I did it. By the way, for anyone in the L.A. area, the installer I used was Song's Tint Masters. Very highly recommended by Huper's U.S. distributor (he referred to them as "artists"), and I think their work lives up to that billing.

12. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Innov, do you mind posting how much you paid for the job? I am setting up an appointment with the local HuperOptik installer here in Maryland/Virginia, it would be great to know I am not being ripped off.

Thanks!

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My dealer is offering $50 off tint this month. For $145 I'm going to assume it's just the back and passenger windows.

Is that a good deal?

What should I ask about the tint? If I'm going to do it, I want to make sure I do it right. Like everyone else, I want to cut down on the heat in the car.

14. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Godiva,

You might want to check out RadMarv's post on his "Tinting 101" thread. Basically you want to know how much light the tint/film lets in, how much of the UV and IR rays it keeps out, what's technically legal in your state, and what the warranty is. As far as whether the deal you were quoted is good or not, it all depends on what type of film is going to be used. I decided to go with Huper Optik because it got consistently high marks from people on this board, even though it is probably one of the most, if not the most expensive options out there. There are other films that are no doubt excellent and that may well be less costly. One other film that seems to consistently get high ratings is Pinnacle by Formula One (hope I've got the name right). No idea what it costs.

15. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"101684)</div>
    Godiva,

There are many different manufacturers with different brands and types of available tint with varying compositions and qualities.

See the Tinting 101 thread in The Knowledge Base Forum.

There are lots of things you should be questioning, but I don't believe that price should be number one on the list.

Here are some things you should be wanting to know.

Heat rejection qualities
    Color of tint
    Darkness of tint
    Reflectiveness of tint
    Metal vs dyed vs ceramic tint
    Affect of the tint on the electronics (NAV, cell phone, satellite radio, etc.)
    How many windows to tint (Back one or both, rear sides including triangles, front sides including triangles, windshield
    Any warranties
    State Law (willingness of going illegal)
    Installer experience

There are probably more to this list but these should get you started.

16. HYACK

HYACK New Member

(Oops, I just noticed Marv's post above...you can disregard mine, hehe)

Godiva,

Tint films are apples and oranges. Know how long the tint dealer's been in business, their experience and see examples of the work, etc.. BUT, research and decide which Tint film brand name and actual tint film you desire to have slapped on your windows.

Also, consider the exterior paint of your car?

Do you want Charcoal, onyx/black, smoke, blue, etc? Do you want dyed film, hybrid, metallic? What sort of warranty would you accept - 3 year only, 5 year, lifetime?

I'm a total newb myself with tint, but with a little research, comparison shopping and consideration, I think I know which film I'll be satisfied with when it's applied this Thursday.

p.s. when you say 'dealer', are you buying the tint and doing the work yourself or considering going to a tint shop for the work? Good luck~

17. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"101818)</div>
    I posted after innov8v posted his fine post. All have great points!

18. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I am in WI and we just had our 05 tinted. All of the windows except the windshield were done with 35 and we had an eyebrow done with 20. 35 is one step darker than legal for the front side windows, but they've been doing it here for several years with no problems. It made a remarkable difference in inside temp. Looks good too.

Doug

19. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Venturer\";p=\"101994)</div>
    Doug,

35% isn't exactly "one step darker than legal". It's actually much darker than legal since 50% is the max for the front side windows in WI. Even using 50% on the front's would have put you over the legal limit since WI is NET VLT = Window + Tint.

Also, since the Prius does NOT have an "AS-1 LINE" on the windshield doing an "EYEBROW" is also illegal.

I hope that the tint laws aren't strictly enforced in WI as an officer just looking at your car will know it's illegal.

Here in CA, depending upon which city you're in the tint laws aren't too strictly enforced unless you're being stopped for other infractions. I went through a DUI checkpoint last Saturday at about 12:30 AM and there was no mention of the tint as I had both front side windows down when I went through. Although my windshield eyebrow is illegal by 2 inches. Also, my 50% front sides are illegal here as 70% is the max. But I figured since it is quite a bit lighter than what I have on the rear I should be able to slide by.

20. Venturer

Venturer New Member

When I said one step darker than legal, I was repeating what the installer told me. He had 35,50 and one step lighter for the main windows and 20 for the eyebrow. The eyebrow comes down to the bottom of the dotted area around the mirror. The visors cover that much or more up when turned down. He has had his own vehicle and many others tinted the same and so far (knock on wood) no one has had a problem. Now that I've said that, We'll get stopped on our next trip. It sure is easier to keep it cool inside and much less glare.

Doug