1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Yellow Stickers History

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by temaku, May 8, 2011.

1. temaku

temaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those Yellow Clean Air stickers issued to 85,000 drivers in California....you are not going to like this....Just got a letter from Dept of Motor Vehicles - California. After July 01, 2011 you will be issued a citation if you are driving in HOV lanes with less then the minimum requirment - which are two people. This citation will cost youi $385.00 plus points because it would be a moving violation. :mad:
    So that quick ride on CA freeways will soon be history per CA DMV code 21655.5 This really is going to have an impact on those who bought a Prius on the basis that one can ride as a single driver with no other occupants in the HOV lanes. That's why I did.

White clean air stickers are okay....does any one know how to modify a 2006 Prius so that we all can qualify for a white clean air sticker? :confused:

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope that those who bought on this basis factored in the very well known program expiration date.

Make that 'dates', as it has been extended several times. I believe it has already gone well beyond the federal expiration date for such programs.

1 person likes this.
  3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only surprise here is how long it has lasted (been extended). Was crazy to extend it for people who already had it, while denying it to new car buyers. The whole intent was to encourage "clean car" adoption - not to entice people to keep driving solo in their already-purchased Prii. The good news is the "privilege" of using the HOV lane has been and is still there for all: get yourself a car pool and REALLY help the pollution/congestion/oil consumption situation.

And yes, I have the HOV stickers on my car. It is fun to drive as a real carpool with those stickers. Oddly enough, I've had people get upset that I took one set of those stickers out of circulation when I didn't need them to use the HOV lane. I mean how selfish of me!

3 people like this.
  4. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I can't imagine this is news to any of us. We've known the expiration date for quite some time, and of course should expect a citation if breaking the law.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    convert it an alternative fuel such as pure electric, CNG, or hydrogen fuel cell. alternately you can trade in the prius and get a 2012 phev prius.