1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Call me silly, but I am NOT waiting on 5,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Signboy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Signboy

Signboy New Member

I guess I am silly, but after spending $27,000 on a car, I am certainly not going to wait until 5,000 miles to change the oil.

It is a simple fact that smaller engines work harder and by far this engine turing on and off all day has to qualify it as a hard worker.

The owner's manual claim of 5,000 miles is only to help sell cars.

The ONLY way to get dirt and grit and metal and sludge out of the engine is to change the oil. The best filter in the world can't catch it all. If oil is passing through the filter then other stuff is too.

As the owner of a GMC pickup and a Dodge minivan both with over 180,000 miles and no major engine problems, I can tell you we got there by changing the oil often.

It is amazing that people will spend hard money on a new car and then try to save $20 on an extra oil change.

Maybe the contest should not be the MPG, but how long will your engine last with 5,000 mile oil changes.

And don't tell me the manufacturer knows best. They also recommend entended changes on all fluids. But they are NOT in the business to make cars last 180,000 miles either.

Thank you.

Joe

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hesitate to ask but are you old? I may be old, depends how you define old? I don't think that the old rules applicable to the modern manufacturing techniques. But on the other had an oil change is cheep and if you can afford it why not?

3. Signboy

Signboy New Member

Yea I am old.

48-years old with two vehicles that have combined ONE-QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES and a glove box FULL OF OIL CHANGE RECEIPTS!!!!

WOW.

What do you mean "if you can afford it"?

If you can't afford a $20 oil change then how are you paying for this car?

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I'm not so worried about the engine since it doesn't even run as much as my old cars. And even at 241,000 miles, I never had problems with the engines. The radiator and other parts go first. I'm not going to say the Prius engine runs 2,000 miles less per 5,000 miles. But it does run less. That depends how you drive it.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I am following the manufacture recommendation. I am using Mobile 1. My mechanic says that my oil looks new after 5K miles. Not Black, not Brown, not Blond (thank god) but clear. I have seen the discharged oil and it is impressive!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not going to try to change your mind...you don't want it changed, you've made up your mind and it's no skin off my back if you change your oil sooner than every 5000 miles.

But I do dispute many of your points. Today's oil is much better than older oils. Most filters are, indeed, design to catch all major particulate elements in the oil that can lead to premature wear. The primary reason we change our oil is NOT because of those particles, it is because of the breakdown of the oil itself.

The starting and stopping of the ICE does not lead to premature wear of the battery or ICE. If you spend some time educating yourself on how the Prius works you'll learn that there is no engine wear/stress as is typical of non-hybrid ICEs thanks to the Oil pressure being brought up before the ICE is under stress...by MG1. Thus, Since your ICE in the Prius will run approximately 1/3rd less time than the "always on" ICE of it's contemporaries there will actually be much less engine wear imparted.

Furthermore, Toyota, for one, IS in the business of making cars run 200k miles...they've built their reputation on their reliability and that's why they're now poised to push GM into second place. So they do have an interest in their engines lasting a long time and I do not think they would suggest shorter time frames for changing.

Jayman: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...=0&#entry162800 recently took their 5000mi oil change oil in for analysis...it showed no significant breakdown.

You can try to alter folks behavior with fear, unsubstantiated rumors and annecdotes if you wish, but I prefer to look at science, math and hard data. And, in this case, the science, math and hard data supports extending oil changes to 5000 miles or, in the case of our EU neighbors, 7500 miles is very safe and satisfactory.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

YC15 the origional had 340,000 km on it with 5,000 mile oil changes, no engine problems at all. In fact if Toyota hadn't taken it back for analysis, I'm sure it'd still be in service with 750,000+ on it.

8. MtnTraveler

MtnTraveler New Member

It seems like an emotional reaction to change oil so frequently. Toyota is famous for long-lasting cars. We are willing to use less gas, so why not use less motor oil as well?

I have a Volvo 240DL, a pretty heavy car with a small engine, gets just under 30 mpg. It has about 300,000 miles. Several times I went over 10,000 miles between oil changes. Most of the time I changed oil every 6 months. Volvo recommended changing at 7,500 miles. Seemed like a lot of miles, but at that time Volvo was bragging their cars last an average of 16 years. My engine refuses to die, although much of the rest of the car is falling apart. By the way, 80% or more of the gas on that car is the cheapest stuff from Arco.

Volvo had an interesting break-in period. Drive it at varying speeds and special back-up procedures for the brakes... They had a free oil change and other fluids changed at a special 600 mile checkup. After that it was 7500 miles, 15000 miles... Only the turbo enginers were at 3750 miles, 7500 miles...

9. brownne

brownne New Member

My first oil change was during my first service (intermediate) at 10k - this is in the service book (the dealer overfilled it and it was a battle to get them to take some out, but that`s another story). There`s no mention of this (controversial) 5k oil change in any of the service documents I have. My next change is at the 20k mark (the full service). $20 for an oil change in the US ? The cost of the oil alone here in the UK (fully synthetic) was 28GBP, never mind the labour.

The oil looked fine at 10k miles so every 10k is fine for me (plus, I`m a bit concerned about the environmental impact of all this waste oil).

10. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe, i changed my oil around 3.5k miles. when u do it urself, u get a little messy, but soap and water takes care of that! plus, you get the exact amount of oil, the correct care, etc!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget that in UK, the service interval is 10,000 miles. Besides, it's not turning on and off as you think it is. Having the engine come on and off this many times is NOT hurtful to the engine. Unlike a normal engine, it's spun to 1,000rpm before started whereas normal engines only get spun to 100rpm.

12. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're silly!

(Hey, you asked for it. See? Right there in the subject?)

Anyway... after seeing the used oil analysis jayman posted, I have no intention of early oil changes.

An oil change may cost $20, but once you factor in the time it takes, it's just not worth it—especially with the oil lasting 5,000 mi just fine.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Not to mention the pollution and waste of petroleum products uselessly. It isn't just about gas. What an under-educated and emotion based people we are sometimes. Good analysis Doc and I second the "OK, you are silly" sentiment.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Perhaps getting a GM made car to 180,000 miles is something to brag about, but it surely isn't anything impressive for other brands out there. And just to think you had to do extra work to get to just around 180,000 miles...

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: signboy's second post... *SIGH* ... a real experienced Prius driver.

This subject seems very close to a troll-type arguement from a Prius driver who has failed to educate himself on the design of the Prius.

My read: signboy just wants to start an arguement thread for the thrill of it. I usually avoid such forum members.

16. ross33

ross33 New Member

had an 85 olds calis with iron duke 4cyl. changed oil every 25,000 miles, filter every 7500 ,using mobil 1. engine stil ran good when i got rid of car at 242,000 miles on it.

17. baxsie

baxsie Member

I changed mine at 2500. Probably not needed. But I do not feel bad about it.

18. sharpdoug

sharpdoug Tig

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CHANGE IT EVERY 3K WITH MOBIL ONE SYNTHECTIC IT WILL LAST WITH NO WEAR WELL FOREVER.

19. popoff

popoff New Member

I have to agree with your first sentence.

The air filter catches any dirt and grit before it ever gets in the engine. It only takes a miniscule amount of dirt to wipe out an engine.

Sludge and metal are virtually non-existent in modern engines, unless there are other problems of a more serious nature that are causing the presence of those contaminants.

I AM old and can vouch for the fact that today's engine building techniques far surpass what they used to be in the past.

By the way, did you know that by-pass filters were used as the only means of filtration until the late 30s or early 40s? Full flow filters only showed up on the scene when mass production of engines came into being and, back then, were required since the relatively primitive machining techniques did leave harmful residues in the engines.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no, change it every 500 miles with Amsol synthetic and change the filter every 250 miles and put on new tires every 1000 miles and be sure to stroke and pat the engine and talk to it when you're doing the oil changes and it will last forever!

Come on folks....quit with the unsubstantiated annecdotes. Of course more frequent changes won't be harmful to the car, but if it isn't helpful then it's just a waste of time, money and oil.