1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Call the Pentagon, GPS was down last night!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Apr 7, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, the GPS system was almost completely offline last night at about 1:30 AM Eastern. My Prius only had signal from ONE satellite. (Not enough to determine position). The car was lost.

The US government has the ability to bring the GPS satellites offline for emergencies when they believe there is an imminent threat from a GPS guided device.

Much telecommunications equipment requires the clocking signal from at least one GPS satellite in order to align the data buses of with other interconnected equipment. If all satellites are brought offline, then the nation's telecom system would be disrupted as well. So, I was not surprised to see one satellite was left up and running for this purpose.

The problem only manifested itself on NAV systems if you traveled (as I did) on a road (or offroad) that is not marked in the map database and the dead reckoning gets confused.

It makes me wonder what threat was averted...

Nate

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It could be that most of the satellites were on the horizon and not high in the sky. I have a iQue that I have used since it came out. It has a display for expected satellite position and when most of them are out on the horizon or below 45 degrees I often can not get a track because of trees and other obstructions between the receiver and the satellites. Does not occur often but does happen.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IT\'S THE BEGINNING OF AN INVASION OF LITTLE GREEN MEN!!!

Maybe the National Enquirer would listen, because it looks like no reputable news organization knows anything about the GPS system being degraded.

Care to elaborate on how you know this was anything more than your system having a temporary hiccup or loss of signal?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The display on my diag screen showed signal strength of ZERO for all but one satellite for over 30 minutes. Not even one blip of signal strength. Also, I was in Eastern Longmont, no trees, no mountains, no buildings, just prarie and lots of clear views of the sky.

Let's watch for an advisory to see if I was right.

http://www.schriever.af.mil/GpsSupportCenter/

(Maybe it was a technical problem).

Nate