1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calling all Garmin C320, 330, and 340 users.... How have you set up your GPS in the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sl7vk, Oct 8, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't figure out the best way to set up the my brand new c320. Love this device, it's better then I imagined.... but it won't bloody well stick anywhere but the windshield. I've attached the photo of how I've set it up below, but there must be better. Please feeback desired, pics of how you've done it are even better. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Canuck has his mounted on the vent cover to the left of the screen. I'm not sure what kind of mount he used.

3. CAPT Seabee

CAPT Seabee New Member

I just use the Garmin accessory dash mount as I sometimes switch the unit over to the other car. If you place it on the left side, you don't interfere with window visibility. I believe there is a "Prius Hoods" snap on cover that can help out with the glare and night time window reflection.

Warm regards....

4. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the adhesive disc that came with my Garmin i5 to mount it as shown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted above the MFD, the GPS gets good satellite reception, doesn't obstruct your view of the road, and can be operated by the driver and the navigator.

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JayGoldstein @ Oct 8 2006, 05:31 PM) [snapback]329817[/snapback]</div>
    Jay, I like your setup, but do you always have to remove the unit when you're parked in less then desirable areas? I love the visibility of the unit, but I don't want to constantly have to be hiding the unit away while using it.

6. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 9 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]330042[/snapback]</div>
    When I'm driving locally, I rarely use the GPS, so it stays in the centre console.

If I'm concerned that it might attract unwanted attention, I put it away. Fortunately, I don't spend much time in "undesirable areas" (and the i5 quickly can be attached and unattached), so at it really isn't an issue for me.

Putting something (like a baseball cap) over the GPS to hide it from prying eyes might be another approach when you are going to be away from the car only for a short period of time.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about the wiring?

8. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

I've just been using the standard windshield mount. I've been thinking about setting up something to keep the cord away from the MFD.

9. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used the supplied adhesive disk and mounted it on the vent cover to the left of the screen. It's at the right height, and you don't have to look down to see it. After awhile, the Florida sun loosened the adhesive tape, so I replaced the tape with the "Scotch" brand adhesive tape and it's been great ever since.

10. michaelswisher

michaelswisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I mounted my Pocket PC in my Prius using mounts from ProClips. They have options for the vent left of the display, or the vent to the left of the steering wheel. They might not have the holder for your GPS yet, but you should be able to attach your current holder to the mount.

I've used ProClips mounts for my past three cars, and they work great. No tape, screws or drilling.

You can find them at: www.proclipusa.com

Good Luck

11. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

OK, here's my install of my Garmin nuvi 350 . . . . .

I use the OEM mount that came with the nuvi, and the adhesive backed disk (supposedly permanent -- we'll see) to connect to the dash. I run power to the unit thru a small length of the original power cable spliced to a mono mini plug. I wanted to be able to detach it completely when it's not in use but did not want to have the power cord draped over the dash when in use. The power comes from the outlet in the passenger footwell and runs up behind the dash to the socket. Currently I have the standard cigarette lighter plug in the outlet down there. Eventually, I'd like to tie the power into something less conspicuous -- either just the rear of the socket, or maybe someplace closer to the unit. That would free up the outlet as well.

First pic is as it appears in use . . . .
    [attachmentid=5528]

Next is the mount without the unit . . . .
    [attachmentid=5529]

Here's the mount on its own. You can see the length of wire where it plugs into the back of the mount with a mini-USB plug (that's all garmin, not me), and on the other end the 1/8 inch mini plug that I added. The only "trick" here is that the cable has four (or is it five?) conductors (USB) so you have to figure out which two carry the DC 12V.
    [attachmentid=5530]

Here's the base without the mount. This is all that's visible when the GPS is not in use.
    [attachmentid=5531]

Looking at these pictures, I think I need to find a little plastic plug/cover to hide the miniplug socket. Should be the same color as the plastic of the vent surrounds. Anyone got a source for that?

Attached Files:

12. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    garbageman, that's a clean install. How do you like the nuvi 350? Is the voice loud enough? I can't make up my mind what I want. I would also like to have CAN-view, and for the 06 I would have to have an additional lcd screen. Since there only so much room I'm still lookin'.

13. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Oct 30 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]341027[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.

I LOVE the 350.

Yes the voice is plenty loud, and there's volume control. At the highest settings though, it starts to distort and get harder to understand. There is an audio-out minijack, which you could plug into the AUX if you have an 06 and don't have something already in there. Then you can have it as loud as you want.

14. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Oct 31 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]341161[/snapback]</div>

Did you do the install yourself or did you have someone do that for you? I have a NUVI 350, and I want to do something like that now.

Let me know. Thanks

15. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sunfire4jc @ Nov 1 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]341911[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, I did that myself.

Took a few hours. The only cost was a couple bucks for the mini plugs and sockets at Radio Shack.

16. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have mounted my C320 directy in the center of my windshield with the standard mount (That has the suction cup) I've no problems with it sticking on at all.

17. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Nov 4 2006, 04:56 AM) [snapback]343690[/snapback]</div>
    I looked at the Garmins but settled for the Magellon Roadmate2000....couldn't resist Costco price of $349. It appears all the good reviews are correct. Its a great little unit. I tried mounting it to the windsheild both on the left and center but I think its going to be in the way of my field of vision and I feel its just too too obvious to an officer of law that something is there that shouldn't be.

I was thinking of getting a Proclip for the Prius and using heavy duty velcro to atttach the GPS to the flat surface of the Proclip. Anyone else try a similar setup and if so are you happy with it?

Another thing I like about the RoadMate2000 is when I stick it in the center box it is out of sight.

Thats my 2 cents

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 5 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]344340[/snapback]</div>
    Ooops. Sorry, I just responded to your PM pointing this thread out but you've already found it.....

Too bad there is no perfect solution to the aftermarket GPS quandry. I have actually kept my setup because it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about theft. I bought an antenna and the reception is perfect now.

19. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 7 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]329681[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for gettin back to me. I'm down to three options. (1) Use center Proclip with male-female adaptor so it can easily be removed (2) Build an "L" shaped block at about a 80 degree angle and attach with velcro or (3) do as you did place it on the drop down box cover.

I like this last idea. Can you tell me what you have holding it in place? It won't sit up if just placed there. Plastic on plastic just don't make it. Also whatever you use can you still open and close the box cover when not in use?

I'm also concerned about reception if GPS is not placed near the glass windsheild. Have you notice any reception problem when sitting on the box cover?

Thanks for your help
    Roger

20. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

(2) Build an "L" shaped block at about a 80 degree angle and attach with velcro or (3) do as you did place it on the drop down box cover.

I thought I'd explain plan 2 and see what others feel about it before do any craftswork in the garage.

Build an "L" shaped holder from say 1/4 inch plywood. Measuring 3-inch all around. But cut the wood at an angle less than 90 to fit the slop of the Prius dash board. To hold the GPS to the holde I would use either Proclips male-female adaptor ($10) or velcro. And the holde would sit right on top of the dashboard. When not in use just lift it up and put away or separate the jholde from the GPS and put away.

Now you're all thinking yeah well what about the holder slipping and slidding all over the dash. I thought of that too. There is something that is sold for cell phones, I can't recall the name of it but you stick it on your cell phone (or any other device) and it stops anything from slipping on the dash. Actuallky it holds pretty securely. That would work fine I think if I took the time to build the holder.

Has anyone tried anything similar to this?