1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calling all .htm and <script> Geeks

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Mar 11, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fellow PriusChatters;
    I am in a bit of a predicament that I’m hoping someone can help me with and will try to keep it short but complete:

Short version:
    I need some code that I can put in an .htm page to cause the window to define its own size.

Long version:
    I am using two applications, each creating .swf files. One is good for static information while the other is good at presenting software demonstrations and interactivity. My presentation starts with the static information with demonstrations thrown in from time to time. In theory it sounds great. However, when I link to the demonstrations, those .swf files open in IE and stretch or shrink to fit the window size – based on the last time it was used. This, of course, creates distortion and an unprofessional look.

I want to make sure that when the demonstration segments launch, they launch into IE windows of specific height and width. However, I cannot pass those parameters from the initiating .swf file.

Key here:
    The easier the better. And if it can’t be done, that’s fine too. However, please do not attempt to explain how I need to go in and edit the .swf file to do this and that. There was a time when I was up with programming and the like but it has long since passed me by.

Also, we are M$ engrained. The projects I develop MUST run in IE with all other browsers basically ignored. For example, I browse the internet with Firefox, but when in the intranet, I switch to IE.

2. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just for some closure, I wanted to reply to my own post.

I've found this bit of code:

<HEAD>

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    window.resizeTo(1050,750);
    </script>

</HEAD>

It has to be placed in the head of the page and tells the window to resize itself to the diminsions provided. Pretty simple. And that's all I was looking for.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    .swf files???

Single White Female files?

Now you’ve got my attention!

“One is good for static information while the other is good at presenting software demonstrations and interactivity.â€

. . . yep, sounds like two different types of gals there.

<HEAD> TOO!!! WOW, I’ve got to get into programming! :oops:

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm i only code in basic html for my page but cant you have the file open in a new window and specify the size?

or do the popup thing?

are you familiar with "popjack" function??

it can be coded for size.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's a known fact, Patrick, that most guys get into programming for all the women!

Oh yeah, and it didn't occur to me until I checked my work on another computer that my "1050" width is wider than the 1024 width on most computers. I keep mine at 1600x1200 and it looked pretty reasonable at the time.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually some sites do feature beautiful young women in shockwave format. most of those sites do require an additional charge though...