1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calling all portable GPS users

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I'm hoping you can help me answer a few questions. My friend showed me his PDA GPS system (I don't know which program it is but the bluetooth GPS receiver is using the SiRF III Chip)

1. Do the systems usually know where the "No Left Turn' intersections are? What if they're restricted at certain times of the day?

2. How is the recalculation of the route in an urban canyon? My friend's system had some issues such as slow recalculation (we intentionally veered off path to see how it performs).

3. How is the signal in an urban canyon? He has 7 satellite locked on but while we were still in the downtown core, it kept thinking we were in some building and displayed *OFF-ROAD* and sounded the "Please proceed to the nearest road" warning. It did that 3 times when we were stationary.

4. At one point, it told us to turn right (towards the harbour) after a slow recalculation when our destination was to the left (and it was a legal left turn). We couldn't turn right because we were in the left lane lol.

Now, is this limited to the PDA's processor, program or receiver? I do hope the actual portable ones are faster and better than the PDA ones.

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 15 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]349364[/snapback]</div>
    1. All of the mapping software that I've used has "no left turn" as well as 1-way streets integrated. Time restricted ones are usually not supported.

2. Being surrounded by tall buildings definitely reduces signal strength - though I find that I can get a lock often enough while driving to keep navigating. Having an external antenna stuck on the top of your car also really helps in this case.

3. Most portable GPS software has a "lock on road" option specifically for driving navigation where you can tell the unit to "snap" to the nearest road when shows you as slightly offset due to signal issues.

4. Lanes are usually not taken into account except where the GPS has time to warn you (ie: prepare to exit left" or something to that effect.

Everything you've mentioned (aside from signal strength) is basically software, and varies depending on the supplier. My experience is based on a variety of Garmin GPS units over the years (which I really enjoy using).

Dave

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll save time and second what Dave said.

Been using Garmin Street Pilots since they came out, and love them. No, they aren't perfect. None of them are - built in or portable. I'm plenty happy with the SP series though!

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I use a Garmin C550. It does pretty good most of the time.

Every morning I head to work, it tries to map me in a shorter direction through a lot more stoplights and eventually down a road we humans all know is packed and slow all the time. I let it go right ahead and do that and drive the way I now is better, shorter, more direct route to the tollway. Every day it recalculates as soon as I skip that first turn and then we both get on the same game plan.

Too bad it doesn't have the logic to see me do that about 10 days in a row, then make my normal route the default. Same with going home. Sometimes I go the suggested way, but when I know that is jammed up a bit, I go a second way. Once I skip that first turn, it should by now remember what plan B is. If Garmin needs any suggestions, that's my first next big upgrade to the software for them.

Whereto -> home is real nice... Too bad they don't have a second one for Whereto -> work

My work is on page 4 of my favorites since I go so far to get there.

Otherwise, it recalculates fairly fast. If I'm within a mile of the destination, it's almost instant. On a 65 mile plan, it may be 3 or 4 seconds.

It does really well amongst trees and tall buildings. Seems their enhanced signal thing on this model really does make a huge difference.

I can't think of a time when I've ever had a bad read on if I need a left or a right. I'm kinda impressed how it knows when I'm on an onramp vs. on the road, etc..

I need to use my brain when driving and make decisions that I think may be better than the Garmin, then it recalculates. When I'm in a place I don't know, or I hop off the tollway where I've never been before and I know I just want to go East on a major road, I know the thing is going to keep pointing me to my destination. That's priceless.

It gets traffic data... which is good and has saved me a few times... in Chicagoland, the signal doesn't reach far enough west to make this thing awesome.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Dave, WRT no.2, the thing was, it locked onto 7 satellites but on the map, the arrow kept jumping all over the place. Going down Georgia, (from Seymour) it wasn't until we hit the street after Thurlow (going west) that it figured out where we were. It did figure out we were on Georgia in between but it would sporadically change location and say we're in some building and "off-road"

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I took a look at the TomTom ONE today (and last week at two different stores). It's very light and small. The screen seems very sharp and the icons are easy to read. I checked out the Pioneer AVIC-S1 last weekend and the blue background made it hard to see the words (no icons). There is an option to change the colour of the background but I didn't see what other colours were available.

The ONE had reception in one store, but had no reception in another store that checked. The store that had reception had the ONE behind a case so I couldn't handle it, hence the second visit to another store today.

Anyway, the voice guidance seems loud enough (especially behind the case). It seems a bit pricey for a base GPS unit (although it has TomTom PLUS services that allow the use of bluetooth connectivity. It doesn't do calls, however).

Anybody from Canada that can give me some feedback on the mapping and useability especially since Canada is not as well mapped as US.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 19 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]351877[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak for TomTom, but Garmin's maps of Canada are extremely accurate - for urban areas, they're as good as the US maps - for more rural areas, they're covered better in the "Roads and Recreation Canada" addon CDROM.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Nov 19 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]351990[/snapback]</div>
    I believe Garmin is using Navteq maps. TomTom uses TeleAtlas... therein lies the issue that's what I'm asking heh. It's believed that for NA, Navteq is the better solution. It's vice-versa in Europe.

9. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use a Palm T5 running TomTom software. It recalculates a missed turn in 3 to 5 seconds. The only time it shows me "off road" is when I turn into a parking lot, but always gves accurate directions to ge back on the road. I find it extremely accurate. On a recent trip to Virginia I used it and it performed better than my expectations. I was also able to find motels and resturants along the route with great ease. I prefer this over dedicated handheld GPS since I retain all the functionalities of the PDA.

10. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use Tomtom as well but on a Palm Treo so it also has phone and web access capability. I believe the PDA version of Tomtom is comparable in performance to their stand alone units. I use it in my "other" car. We have Toytoa Nav in Carmyne and use it most of the time but it also suffers from most of the faults discussed above. For both units, the "canyon" effect is most noticable when you are sitting still. If you are moving, it can smooth out intermittant signal variations as well as extrapolate from recent direction & speed. I've also experienced the problem in dense forests. These are all minor problems compared to being in an unfamiliar area without a nav system.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A