1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calling all PS3s

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigdaddy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

PS3 folks. You may or may not know that PriusChat has a Folding @ Home team. You can read all about the team and what Folding@Home is on this thread: http://priuschat.com/Anyone-out-there-Fold...ome-t25462.html.

Basically, as part of the project you donate spare computer cycles to a project that is studying diseases (cancers, alzeimer's, parkinson's) caused by the misfolding of proteins as they set about their business.

Anyway, yesterday Sony and Stanford launched a Folding@Home program for the Playstation 3. In a little over a day, with the help of about 17,000 PS3s around the world, the power of the Folding@Home supercomputer has already doubled and has nearly tripled (will do that in about 8 hours). Collectively, the combined power of all machines has pretty much reached and surpassed that of the most powerful supercomputers.

If you own a PS3, you might want to give the project a try this weekend when you are not watching Blu-Ray or playing games. It's simple to install and is on your cross-media bar as of yesterday's update. Even 12 hours of time will help the project. Who knows, you might get hooked and wind up donating all of your spare PS3 and computer time like some of your fellow PriusChatters.

The PriusChat team number is 52533 if you want to join the team here. Simply installing and running the project without a team number is good too. All of the donated resources are accepted by the project with our without a team number.

If you need help installing, best to ask questions on the other thread or PM me if you want a slower response. Thx...

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently got a PS3, but I hadn't planned on running the Folding at Home client on it. Now that I see that there is a Priuschat team I will think about it.