1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calliper retraction problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by silverb19, Aug 19, 2012.

1. silverb19

silverb19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rightly or wrongly (in this case it would seem the latter), I decided to change my own front pads and disks on an 07 Prius after having read online that it was fairly easy. It was going swimmingly until I came to retracting the calliper. I've tried everything, even eventually finding the proper retraction tool I'd bought for a different car. Managed to push it back about 7mm. It needs to go another 3cm nearly. Bugger I thought. Will have to take it to a garage. I'll put the old pads and disc (rotor) back on again as they still have plenty of wear. I was dismayed to find that the piston must have worked it's way out as there was no way it would fit even with the old kit on. So now it looks as if I'm in a mess because of a stuck calliper. I even tried undoing the bleeder valve, but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Anybody who knows how I might be able to get out of this mess, please message me

Thanks

RayB

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It sounds as though the caliper piston has been pushed out by the electric hydraulic pump and jammed at an angle.It should normally be possible to push it in with a G clamp.

Did you disconnect the battery before starting work on the brakes?

If you undid the bleed valve you now have the problem of bleeding the brakes and I'm afraid this can only be done with a computer, correct connector and software. In other words Toyota.

I see you put your location as Leicester, is that Leicester UK?

See if you can give me more details ( answer questions above ) and I will see if I can help further.

John.