1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Feb 28, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my Son who will soon be 23 months old at his last checkup was rated 85% in height, but only 30% for weight in his age group which basically means he burns off calories at the same rate he consumes them.

this causes a problem in getting a good pic of him that is not blurry, so we are in market for digital SLR. now Costco has the Nikon D 60 with 18-55 mm and 55-200 lenses for $700 after rebate.

is this a good price? dont have time to shop around really since sale ends today. any thoughts?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one of my pet topics.... So bear with me!

1) Why do you want a DSLR? What experience do you have with SLRs? What advantage do you anticipate in the DSLR over a sealed unit camera? Do you understand the reciprocal nature of f-stop and shutter speed and when and how to use them in various shooting situations to achive the artistic end you want to achive?

2) I firmly believe that for the average amature shooter looking for a good camera for family and travel photos who has no real interest in photography as a serious hobby with artistic ends that a sealed unit camera is a better choice. It offers the advantage of never having to worry about sensor cleaning. You're more likely to take it with you to the park, short trips, school plays, etc. They tend to be easier to use and less likely to change a setting that ruins your photos.

3) The kit lenses with the camera you're looking at are the bottom of the barrel that Nikon makes. They're adequate for point and shoot but offer no advantages over the one lens built into a good quality sealed camera. The offer the inconvenience of having to exchange them, increased bulk, and lack of image stabilization (which most good sealed units have built in). Too get superior quality glass with Vibration reduction (I see that the first lens with the kit is VR, but the glass won't be that good) (Nikon's image stabilization) you're looking at spending the cost of the entire package you're looking at an more. The next lens I intend to buy sells for about $1800...and it's nothing particularly special. If it were me, in your position, I'd spend MORE money on one good mid-zoom. You'll be more likely to use it and get more mileage out of the camera and have much better image quality.
    See: Nikon | 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Autofocus | 2159

4) That body is a very nice entry level DSLR body...no complaints there at all if you do decide to go with a DSLR.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well... actually only looking for a digital camera that simply takes high speed pics. the problem i have now with the various cheap cameras i have now is that i have to take 5 pics to get one that is semi decent. to be honest with ya, getting Ry to sit still is nearly impossible. i would rather get candid shots instead of trying to pose him.

and i have no idea what "sealed" cameras are? so would i be better off getting one of those? how much? what model ? looking for something around a $1000

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean by 'high speed pics'? Are you talking about wanting to freeze high speed action like race cars and runners on a track so that they're not blurry? Or do you mean that you are having trouble catching a specific moment you want because of shutter lag?

Since we're talking kids I'm going to bet you mean you're missing shots b/c of shutter lag--the camera doesn't fire for about 1/2 second or more when you press the shutter release.

High end sealed unit cameras (by that I mean fixed lens, you don't open them up for anything but for batteries and memory cards, etc) have performance specs on par with low end (ala D60) DSLRs. You can get some that have very fast focus and very fast shutter lag.

I recommend the site DPReview which does very thorough reviews of lots of cameras and they routinely look at shutter lag (both with pre-focus and without).

What's pre-focus? Most inexpensive digicams include a pre-focus option where when you partially depress and hold the shutter release the camera will go through it's focus and exposure setting logorhythm so that when you are ready to catch that moment the shutter lag is MUCH less. For instance...the very cheap digicam I just bought for my son ($80 on amazon cheap) has a measured shutter lag of 0.4 seconds without pre-focus, but only 0.1 seconds with pre-focus. My Fancy D200 DSLR has a shutter lag of something like 0.07 seconds...but that's a $1400 body...not much difference in shutter lag for a big difference in price.

I'll refrain from specific recommendations as there are new cameras introduced at a rate and volume far too fast for me to keep up with.

I recommend only buying cameras that use AA batteries, the OEM ones are too expensive. Optical zoom and high quality lenses matter, digital zoom doesn't.

I prefer a viewfinder to using the LCD for framing so I like a nice eye-level view finder, but you may have different preferences there.

The flexibility to use manual settings is nice, but honestly even I don't use them on my wife's point & shoot digicam.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the DPReview of the high end compact cameras...a good starting place:
    Prosumer Camera Group Test Q4 2008 Review: 13. Conclusions and ratings: Digital Photography Review
    Above is the conclusion link, you can, and should, read the individual reviews. Even if you don't get one of those I think it's useful to read the individual reviews so you can learn what the pitfalls are when purchasing a digicam so you don't end up with something and later realize that some quirk is really irksome to you.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep. thats what i want, fast focus, fast shutter lag

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,
    I've done some reading and am going to back off a bit from my above recs. It seems that over the past year or so many companies have opted for consumer priced DSLRs over the "prosumer" compacts. And, indeed, the shutter lag are significantly less (aka faster) on the DSLRs. Further, the "kit" 18-55 D60 lens has VR and they've improved the glass to reduce flare ( a common problem on cheap kit lenses).

For the $700 kit you posted above I think it would be hard to go wrong. It has an automatic dust-off mode which may eliminate some of the concerns about crap on the sensor.

It still doesn't get you past the bulk/inconvenience factor, but with your primary goal being shutter lag, at that price, with those lenses...I'm gonna say it's a great place to start for a camera to meet your needs.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so the best option for high speed captures would be a good performer at higher ISO?

as far as bulk goes, not really an issue. what i use for most pics is my Mini DV cam with only had 2.4 MP still pic option but i use it because its much faster as far as focus, shutter lag, etc.

problem is, it uses one lens and its designed for video, not stills, so can do great video, but still pics suck.

so, looking at Panasonic LX3 as possibility. cheaper but how difficult is maintaining the lenses and sensors? is it complicated??

having no surgery skills, i probably dont have that steady a hand?

**edit**
    ok. we off to Costco to see what is available. the Canon D-60 sounds like it maybe the way to go. it has decent reviews for cameras under a grand

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, not sure what you're asking now.

If you're capturing fast action then higher ISO can help as it allows for faster shutter speeds.

If you're asking about shutter lag, then ISO isn't really an issue...auto-focus will always be slower in low light so shutter speed will be longer, but that's not related to the ISO setting.

If bulk is not an issue then choose the D60 over the compacts.
    There are not lens and sensor maintenance issues with the compacts like the LX3 except for occasionally cleaning the front of the lens when it gets dirty.

Occasionally the sensor on the D60 will require cleaning. How often depends upon a) how often you change lenses, b)how dusty/dirty the environment you shoot in is (windy deserts are worse than pristine studios), and c) how well the sensor cleaner built into the camera works. Cleaning the sensor yourself isn't that complicated, but it requires care and the right tools. I get mine professionally cleaned once a year...cost is around $30-50.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh ok. then sounds like i will do the D 60. what would be nice is to do like the "burst mode" when you just take like 15 pictures in rapid succession to capture some sort of action scene. i dont think i be swapping lens that much. he is only 23 months, so still a few years from the soccer games pics and stuff like that.

anyway, thanks for the info.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've shot several dance shows with a point-n-shoot, which is
    one of the harder settings for those but have come out with some
    results that put the people shooting with SLRs to shame. It's
    all about the external factors and timing -- anticipating when
    dancers are likely to freeze for just a moment, and absolutely
    above all you need to have a lot of LIGHT on your subject.
    Get more light onto the youngster and it won't matter if he's
    moving or not. Or use flash, if you can tolerate the quality
    of that light, to freeze action when needed.
    You don't need anything more than a $200 point-n-shoot for your
    kid snaps, you just need to create the right setting.
    _H*

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    H

A long, long time ago, my pops told me that a poor craftsman always blames his tools. He used to also tell me that the best tools in the world wouldn't make a good craftsman

14. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few months ago, I upgraded from a Fuji S7000 sealed unit as Evan describes to a Canon Xsi. The Fuji gave me the eye level viewfinder and ability to do manual, shutter or aperture priority, programed as well as various automatic modes. It was a decent camera but had a nasty shutter lag and quite a bit of sensor noise plus the inability to focus in low light conditions.
    With the Canon however, it's a whole different world. It came with the standard kit lenses, an 18-55 and 55-250, again as Evan says they are on the lower end, but still mighty fine pieces of glass. When I got the Canon, I compared between the Canon Xti, Xsi, and Nikon D60, D80, and D90. The reason I went with Canon was based on focus speed and in lens image stabilizer. Having spent a week in the Philippines, I have lots of pictures, I will post some in a separate thread as soon as I get a chance to re-size them for posting.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I kind of have the same questions. I need to replace an old Canon Elph that died. I think I want both a new pocket camera and a 2nd camera capable of faster and better performance. I don't really know much about serious photography yet, but am interested in learning (my wife thinks I need new hobbies not involving computers and Prius blogs:D). I'm considering getting a medium priced DLSR body ($1,000 - $1,500), but I've read enough to have figured out getting a couple of good lenses with it could quickly jack the overall cost into the $2,000 to $4,000 range.

1. Canon just announced new Elphs coming out in April. At the high end, they'll have a new 4x wide angle model and a new 5x telephoto model. I'm thinking if this is the only camera I get, I should go with the 4x, but if I get both I should get the 5x.

2. Canon also just announced April availability of a new high end sealed camera, the SX1, with 21x and other impressive features, but with an MRSP to match ($599). Not sure whether I should start with this and see if I want to go DLSR later (maybe after full frame tricles down), or bite the bullet on DLSR now, so as to start playing with and investing in different lenses.

All thoughts and opinions appreciated.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ggood,
    You really don't need to spend $1000+ on a DSLR body when you're starting as a rank amateur.
    All you need is a body like the one Dave is looking at...a D60, or a Canon equivalent. If you think you might take up photography as a serious hobby the body is probably the least important of the things you will buy. Most important is your first lens...spend a lot of money on that...when you're ready for a better camera body the lens will still work on it. If you have a cheap body and a cheap lens you'll have to replace them both. I've still got a couple lenses over 10-12 years old, but have been through 5 or 6 camera bodies over that same time frame.

So, I'd spend maybe $1200 on your first lens (a good mid-zoom), and maybe $500 on a body. Spend $200 or so on a good tripod, another $200 on a good tripod head, and another $200 on a good speedlight/flash. That puts you over $2000, but all but the body will last you for many years...and even the body will still serve well as a back-up/second camera when you are ready to upgrade. There really aren't any features on a professional camera that an amateur needs or would have any idea how to use until they learn to use a cheaper body.

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very very true. This past fall my wife and I did a motorcycle tour through the Balkans. One of the other members of the group was a Brit named Geoffrey. His hobby was photography and he has won several international awards for his work. (He does a special form of photography call stereoscopy, which used two cameras timed to take a picture at the same time to give a 3D effect.) He had a whole bag full of photography equipment with him but his primary camera on the trip was a Panasonic Lumix point-and-shoot digital camera that cost all of $300. It was very similar to the one recommended on the list Efusco linked (Panasonic Lumex DMC-TZ5) He sent us a CD of his photographs and they are outstanding, putting the rest of us to shame even those that brought along expensive DSLR Cameras.

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As long as we're talking about it, can I bug you for your thoughts on the following:

1. To further confuse the issue, there are now the 2/3 and compact sensor dslrs (Samsung just announced one), which I'm assuming I should just ignore.

2. I gather that although sensor size is actually kind of arbitrary (as to whether full frame really matters), full frame (35mm) sensors are the current big thing and will eventually trickle down.

3. Also, although the good lenses can be used on either current dslrs or full frame, there appear to be reasons to get lenses that are optimized for one or the other.

4. Finally, you sort of need to pick your religion (Nikon or Canon) if you start investing in high end lenses. Would you say Nikon has a slight edge right now in that dept. (over the Canon L lenses), and if so why? Seems like you can find plenty of zealots for either religion!

19. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just my 2 cents, but I have the Nikon D60 DSLR, and chose it because I was looking for fast shutter speed and long battery life. It does have burst mode also. I loved using my Pentax K1000 many years ago but the film got too expensive. This camera gives me the option of using it in automatic mode, programmed modes, or fully manual operation at an entry level price. I use it frequently to photograph a friend's foster cats' web pictures. I usually shoot in bright room light without flash, or use fill flash, and use a long lense so I'm not so close that I get the cats nervous. Recently I used it to get shots of our newest member of the clan - Brendan Mikhail (pronounced like Michael). This shot was taken on his 6th day in the United States following his adoption:

Attached Files:

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the 2/3 sensors have sort of gone the way of betamax and HD-DVD, they seemed like a great idea, but haven't really come to much. It doesn't make a lot of difference though, in choosing your camera.

That's my sense as well. And this may be a consideration for you....see below.

Not quite true. The Nikon DX series lenses have a smaller image on the sensor. While you can use those lenses with a full-frame sensor camera you will have a ring of black around the edge the you'll have to crop down to the smaller sensor image area. Thus, if you think you'll one day upgrade to a full-frame body you might be better off spending a bit extra for a non-DX lens. I'm currently enjoying this dilema. I'd like to buy the D700, but it's full frame and all but 2 or 3 of my lenses are now DX lenses...to replace my current DX lenses and buy the D700 would cost me well over $5000....and then how ever much I lose in my divorce that would be sure to follow!!:eek:

I'm a Nikon shooter and have been for about 14 years. I like their quality, their speed lights, and now am comfortable with their body layout.
    But, if I were going to start over today from scratch I don't know which way I'd go. I think Canon may still hold an edge in DSLR quality, but Nikon is quickly closing the gap (with the release of the D700 in particular). Both have great lenses and I wouldn't make my decision based upon that factor.

If you think you might get serious about this the best thing for you to do is to go to a pro camera shop and handle some cameras with various lenses. See how they fit your hand. How do you like the layout of the controls on the body, do you find the menus easy to navigate? Do you like the viewfinder data and how the AF selectors work?

They both make great cameras and you really can't go wrong with either.