1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camera Woes

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Bonnie2011, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Bonnie2011

Bonnie2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - I just had a Safesight micro flush mount camera installed in my Prius 2010 (purchased from Mobile Electronics). I had it installed with a manual switch so that it is either on or off according to my whim.

Unfortunately, at this point, the camera seems to add to - rather than subtract from - backing up risks due to spatial distortion and pinpoint representations of objects directly in back of my car.

Some problems I am having with my monitor display:

1. - road is displayed in front of the passing car when the car is actually pulling up alongside of my car in left or right lanes (I am particularly paying attention to this phenomenon in the left lane).
    2. - a car seems to be a couple car lengths behind mine (according to my rear view mirror) but shows up as a pinpoint on my monitor. I don't even see this pin point unless I work at it.
    3. - orientation lines on my monitor (red, yellow, green, blue) are seemingly misaligned from left to right
    4. - these same orientation lines are more egregiously misaligned from front to back; they seem to indicate a lot of space remains when a car is on my bumper.

Do my problems reflect a need to manipulate the angle of the camera mount?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I have done, and you should give a shot, park somewhere you can devote a couple of minutes to the following checkout.
    You will need a tape measure that is at least 20 ft long, 4 or 5 objects, poles, cans, cones, whatever, just get 5 objects to act as markers. Now take the tape measure using the end of the bumper pull out the tape, and make sure it is inline with the car, spool out the entire tape and lock it so it does not spool back on you. Every 5 feet, place a marker object. 5 markers equate 25 ft.
    Now get in the car, parking brake on, put car into reverse, or do what ever you need to do to activate the camera system. take a pic of what you see and please post it. You should be able to see all objects in line behind you, and all with clarity. From your description it sounds like you might have a bad lens, hence the need for a picture!

Back to you...... EDIT, I see you only have 3 posts, post 2 more times, on post number 6 you will be able to add a pic. So hows the weather?

3. Bonnie2011

Bonnie2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the advice. I will be seeing the person who installed the camera later today - and do a bit of investigation.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please take a pic of the before fix look, I really would like to check it out!

Hopefully it is something simple and will not drag out!

I would like a pic however! :D