1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camping ala Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by delrey, Jul 7, 2004.

1. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi All -

I took my son camping over the long weekend -- we drove down to Yosemite and camped near Tuolumne Meadows.

I was pleasantly surprised at being able to fit everything in the car, without impeding my view out the back! No problems with the drive up either, even though the car was pretty fully loaded - two adults & one kid plus LOTS of camping gear, but never ran the battery all the way down in the process of climbing to 8600 ft. elevation.

We arrived right after a storm and had to drive over some recent snow/hail which was high enough to scrape under the car bottom. No problems handling though & I got to look up what the little light with a road and snowflake means (Cold! less than 37 deg F, but you non-californians already knew that ...)

I did have a problem getting up the last bit of campground "road" up to the actual campsite. It had a few rocks that were not going to clear - we tried backing in since the front seems to scrape more going first. Still had a rough time maneuvering so that various rocks didn't scrape other things underneath ... it took a long time to drive 20 feet! We should have gone in forward and not backward after all, I think.

Does anyone have other suggestions for this situation?

Overall a great success!

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow 8600 feet!

so you didnt notice any carburation or power loss??

that in itself is rather impressive. as far as the trail, maybe you should just stay off the RV trail :)

3. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope, didn't notice a thing.

Well, OK, but what scraping speedbumps in a parking lot? What about my driveway? Oops, I'm whining, sorry!

I can't drive in forwards without scraping the heck out of the front underneath. Now that I've figured out backing in to fix this problem I should see if anything needs repair.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually i will say that i do notice very little ground clearance on my Prius also but that just makes its aerodynamic properties better to increase MPG. but i dont have much problems with scraping and we do have some piss poor roads where i live.