1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camry 07 hybrid, 135,000 miles, will not go to ready mode

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by godwei123, Oct 23, 2020.

1. godwei123

godwei123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone

Yesterday when I was driving home, I slowed the vehicle a little bit (do not remember whether I stepped on brake or not) and then tried to accelerate the car completely lost engine power. I slowed parked the car at a safe place. I tried to shut it down and then restart several times. Each time after I pressed the push start, dash light would turn on, and "Ready" would start flash ( I guess it's checking things to get ready) and then after 2 to 3 seconds, "Ready" would disappear and it will not go to ready mode. Then "check VSC system" and a lot of lights would all be red. Normally, after "Ready" flashes a few times and it will go to solid lit and the car is ready to drive. But it would not do that now. Also, because it's not "ready", my steering wheel is locked, I can not turn it at all. I could still shift the gears so the gears were not locked. However, after I shifted gears, nothing happens, the car will not move. BTW, the traction battery seemed to be fine, it showed that on the dash board. I had traction battery problems before and it's different from these symptoms.

Towed the car back, checked the error code with two different android apps (Dr. Prius and OBDII Mary) connecting to an OBDII connector, no error codes found. After a little bit searching online, seemed people say it might be because of the 12 voltage battery. I measured the voltage it was only 10.1 V, so I thought the 12 v battery was the reason. I planned to jump started it this morning. I connected the 12 v battery to a CRV ( with engine running) and charged the battery for about 20 to 30 minutes. With the cable still connected to both cars, I tried to press push start, still the same thing like yesterday. I measured the voltage and it's now reading 13.6 V. Some people said I need to reset the vehicle by shutdown and restart it 3 to 4 times to clear the code. I did. Not sure I did it correctly or not, I pressed push start with stepping on the brake, 3 seconds later, press push start to shut it down. Repeated it 3 more times. Nothing changed. I also tried to disconnect the 12 v battery ground cable for 15 minutes, that reset the clock in the car, but did not change anything else.

My understanding is that if it's because of the bad 12 voltage battery, when I jump started it with a second car, the car should act normal. Am I correct? Or jump start will not provide enough current and I have to change the 12 v battery before the car can go normal?

Also, if it's a low 12 v battery, would the car suddenly lose power when I was driving?

Anyone who might have suggestions what I should do?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have gas in the car? The HV battery you had problems with before, did you replace it with a new hv battery or just rebuild the old one? Camry cars are notorious for working the battery modules really hard to the point where they should not be rebuilt. If you didn't put in a new battery, that would most likely be your problem. The way the car slowed down and you couldn't accelerate, classic sign of a car that ran out of gas or went into Limp mode. A lot of warning lights should have turned on from the dash at that point

Once you disconnect the 12v battery, all your codes from the car would disappear.

3. godwei123

godwei123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. There is plenty of gasoline. I did rebuilt the battery. From the OBDII software it seems that there is no error code and seems all batteries groups (17 of them) measured around 16.8 to 17.2 voltage. When I had bad battery, there is always error code and the OBDII software will tell you there is one or more group measured lower than 16 v.
    Also, I charged the 12 voltage battery for 10 hours so far with 1.5 A current, seems the 12 v battery is ok now. The previous 10.1 voltage I measured from it may be because I used the car for about 1 hour with it shutdown on the road. I will continue to charge it for another 8 hours.
    Could this be a fuse or inverter problem? Or still higher possibility that there is traction battery problem?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may have an inverter problem or a transaxle problem. I've never encountered an inverter problem before so I can't describe the symptom. I have had battery failures and out of gas episodes so if both of those checked out for you, you should go and get it checked.

An inverter failure or transaxle failure would definitely have codes. You may just need a proper code reader to get the codes. Best scenario out of those two is to have an inverter problem, much easier to fix than transaxle problem. On 2010+ Prius cars, Toyota has an extended warranty for the inverter failures.

But you should somehow get codes, can't guess through this