1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camry/ES engine swap project!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by galaxee, Jun 27, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is "other car" related so i thought i'd stick it in the "other cars" forum :p

our camry got smashed about 6 weeks ago and after much screwing around over a fallen-through deal, we finally found a suitable replacement for it. our criteria were simple.

1. cheap, cheap, cheap.
    2. preferably broken somehow, so as to ensure criterion 1.
    3. broken in such a way that our smashed camry could be used to restore it for no cost (just time) if possible.

we looked at a bunch of camrys, but the ones still on the road today are mostly the 4-cyl version, and ours has a v6 in it. found a couple in need of a trans or engine for way more than we really wanted to pay, and were getting irritated until we found a very cheap lexus es250 with a bad engine. just so happens this engine is the same v6 as in our camry... so if the lexus is cheaper than the toyotas, why the hell not, right?

DH went and picked up the "new" car today, and is quite pleased with it. turns out the engine isn't as bad as we thought, either. it's getting a thorough evaluation tonight when he gets home, and if all goes well it will be up and running by this weekend!

pictures coming soon...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sweeet! I wonder if it has more power because it's a Lexus (some tuning differences?)

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, the car is here and it looks great! it needs a few things but i guess that's to be expected when you're starting on a new-to-you car. it needs a rack, some axle seals, might need some control arms that we may or may not be able to steal from the camry, a couple other things. and of course the engine from our camry needs to go in it. but overall it's not bad at all. we're quite excited.

we want to find a good rack for it before putting the new engine in if possible, it's much easier to change a rack with the engine out of the way.

thanks to everyone who helped us out, over half the cost of the car and getting it home was covered. thanks so much, everyone! it's a tremendous help as we're about to dive head first into more hospital bills soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 27 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]469159[/snapback]</div>
    More power? Sure you do. You need to put premium unleaded gas on Lexus. For toyota, only regular unleaded gas. :lol: :lol:

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Jun 28 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]469493[/snapback]</div>

Why if it's the same engine?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 27 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]469159[/snapback]</div>
    They're putting their Camry engine in it. ... Of course, I suppose they could add an electric motor for added power... :)

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 28 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]469413[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that looks brilliant!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 28 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]469496[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at the Camry V6 and the ES350. Same engine but the ES recommends premium for an extra 4 hp lol.

8. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I agree with Tideland. That's one sharp looker! Aside from little things here and there (which give the car character anyway) it is one gorgeous machine. I hope she turns out well!

I look forward to seeing this car come together. Congrats on the find!

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wanna know what the Lexus has that the Camry didn't.

Leather interior?

Heated seats?

What?

The Lexus did cost more new than the Camry did, right? But....they have the same engine. So in what way is the Lexus "better".

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    crap, i just replied and it timed out on me.

the es and the camry both have a 2vz-fe engine, but the lexus has knock sensors and an o2 sensor, which the camry did not have. the steering is speed-sensitive (unfortunately, we can't just take the rack out of the camry :() and there are some other differences under the hood. looks like some of the suspension is different. it has airbags and abs, which the camry didn't have. i am glad to see DH in a car with those safety features.

inside it's a whole different car. full leather trim, factory cd player and pioneer sound system with amp, wood dash trim, just in general nicer trim, oh ya and a SUNROOF! :p

man, did we really get this car for cheaper than a camry with a blown trans? the more i think about it the harder it is to believe. like i'm gonna wake up and it's not true or something.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sunroof? I thought it had a moonroof. Did that come later?

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice find. Hope it all fits where it is suppose to fit.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't know if it's a moonroof or sunroof. i didn't notice it till DH opened the cover.

TJ, we're hoping the same thing. should be a good challenge for DH, he's looking forward to it.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, you really did make out great.

What's the difference between a sunroof and moonroof? Whether you open it at night or during the day?

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That really is a great looking car!

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 29 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]470044[/snapback]</div>
    Sunroof is made of metal. Moonroof - a term coined by the Ford Motor Company - is glass.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 28 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]469772[/snapback]</div>
    Pardon my honesty, but I don't think any car really looks good compared to my garden-pest-green Xebra SD.

But I am delighted you found a car that you like so much and that will work for you. (I have no doubt your DH will be able to get everything together.)

BTW, does "DH" stand for "domestic helper," or is "DH" his name or what you call him? I ask because I never know whether to refer to him as "DH" or as "your DH."

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it's "Dear Hubby".

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    he's my dear husband, or a shortened term along those lines. ;)

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 29 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]470189[/snapback]</div>
    DH is Dear Hubby, on most boards I've frequented. I use it a lot, along with Dear Hubbs.

Not at all related to AH, which is my name for my ex-husband. ;)