1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camry Hybrid Built in USA or Japan - Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ormond, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ormond

Ormond New Member

If I decide to buy a Camry Hybrid, should I buy an early one built in Japan, or an American-assembled vehicle? :blink:

[​IMG]

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Good question! Normally the trade-off is "do I want the better Japanese quality or do I want tosupport American labor?"

But I think you can have both. I expect that Toyota wants desperately to avoid any stigma for American-assembled hybrid quality, at least at first when their reputation is being established, and I would guess that despite being new and unfamiliar to the assemblers, those cars will be some of the best-assembled cars on the road.

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

after touring MLK (the kentucky toyota plant) I'd buy one made here.

4. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

and not only did the process of support US labor, but the car was built here and did not spew cargo ship emissions while in the process of getting it here. i'd go with the american made one.

5. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Mar 8 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]402496[/snapback]</div>
    That seems like a silly reason for not buying a foreign made automobile but to each his own. I don't believe cargo ships are a significant source of pollution. When it comes to moving goods around the world, ocean shipping is considered the most efficient.

I believe this question was recently posed and I think it was Galaxee's husband, who is a Toyota tech, prefers the Japanese made Camry. The reason was not so much the difference in the build quality but the quality of the parts. If i remember correctly he indicated the Japanese sourced parts (mainly Denso) were of superior quality verses the American sourced parts.

Rick
    #4 2006

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Japan.

With all due respect, it'll still be better made. All I have to do is look at my friends' US-made Accords, M-Classes and Camrys. Or maybe my friends just have bad luck lol.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 9 2007, 03:07 AM) [snapback]402680[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it certainly can't have *more* recalls if it's US made.... the Prius has proven that point. :rolleyes:

8. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Mar 9 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]402770[/snapback]</div>
    I choose made in Japan if I can. Overall the quality is better. The Japanese really care to do a good job, it's a cultural thing. Travel there and you'll see. It's amazing.

My parents bought a 1997 Camry XLE V6 brand new in October 1996, and at first it was an amazing car. I remember driving it when it was brand new and being blown away by the power and comfort as compared to their old 1988 Camry LE 4CYL. But then eventually they had a lot of electrical problems with it, turn signals failing, clock failing, electric mirrors failing, taillights failing, etc. The shop found wires that were chafed, clearly either bad design or bad assembly. Cost a lot to fix at the dealer, and now the front end has a clunking sound every time they go over a bump.

Love my 100% Made in Japan 2007 Prius!

Dave

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ormond @ Mar 8 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]402370[/snapback]</div>
    Last I heard, all the Prisus's were Japan made. Has there been info that says that's changing for either or both Camry/Prius? As for quality comparisons between U.S./Japan . . . there HAVE been studies showing (for example) when an Accord (made both aboroad & in the U.S.) is made in Japan, it has at least a 10% higher reliability rating, regardless of whether the owner knows where it's made.

As for Prius recalls? Sure, there have been a slew. Considering all the new tech junk they crammed into it, would I have rather they delayed production a couple years? . . . denying me 2 years of Prius driving mileage/pleasure? Thanks, but I'll gladly accept my recalls with pleasure.

10. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have a choice? Just get it, no matter where its made. Basically the same car.

11. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I absolutely cannot agree with this. Yes both Camrys have the same design, same material, same color, same _________ (whatever you can fill in), even same management, same QA, whatever, but American car factories JUST CAN'T BE TRUSTED -- unless you have too much patriotism that you buy ONLY stuff made in USA, regradless on how bad the quality is.

It has everything to do with the American car factory workers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Texas911 @ Mar 9 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]402785[/snapback]</div>

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcsj @ Mar 9 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]402818[/snapback]</div>

Don't worry, I don't think the Toyota plants are UAW members. And I beg to differ, I have had Japanese brands made in the USA and they have been fine.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Mar 9 2007, 07:13 AM) [snapback]402770[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed you're right. But workmanship is rarely a Toyota recall (except maybe that kick panel recall for the Highlander/RX). But loose trim pieces is not what I expect from a Japanese manufacturer.

They may be the same part and they're obviously the same spec but doesn't mean they're put together equally.

It's like saying a sofa is an Italian sofa b/c it has Italian leather even though it's made in China. I really don't care b/c the leather may be great but if the stitching comes apart or one of the nails in the frame isn't hammered properly, there goes the sofa.