1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

**** Can’t start Prius - lost master keys ; blah blah blah ###

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PAULY STAR, Dec 9, 2020.

1. PAULY STAR

PAULY STAR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the love of God please someone help me figure this out. ...
    My 12 v battery was getting weak ........and triangle would pop up for a second maybe once a day".......and then I lost my master key.........

I can’t program a new key because ecu won’t communicate w Autel Maxisys ms906 Ts scanner and I’m stuck......

I checked and installed a new battery
    I installed new ecu
    In installed fusible link
    I tried bypassing wiring obd2 slots 4 and 13
    I checked all fuses
    Got a new fob key that I can’t program

I’m about to use this 05 Prius as an anchor

I apologize if verbiage is off or what I’ve said is confusing.
    Can someone please advise a solution. ,,

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Have you checked the engine oil level lately?
    Don't know about the 'Autel Maxisys ms906 Ts scanner', but the dealership would use techstream to program a new key.

You can have a similar setup by purchasing a 'mini-vci' cable ($20) and installing techstream on a windows device.

It sounds like you'll need to reseed : https://weboctopus.nl/lexus-scion-toyota-pass-code-by-seed-code-calculator.php

If that is too much, you might try calling local locksmiths, dealerships, or consider an AAA membership and tell them you lost the key.

Skibob likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think the standard answer when you lose ALL of the working keys is:
    You must buy a new ECU WITH at least one working key because the claim is that is the only way.
    Cost: Something like $800.
    But ask a dealer or two......and a locksmith or two.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s not correct for 2004 and later Prius models, at least in North America.

“All Keys Lost” is exactly the situation for which Toyota has provided the Smart Code Reset procedure in the Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, as a less-costly alternative to replacing the transponder key ECU (or in later generations, ID code box), which is deliberately mounted in a hard-to-access location.

Smart Code Reset is officially available only to Toyota dealers and to independent shops and locksmiths who are eligible for a Security Professional subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, but as @SFO has kindly pointed out, third parties now sell anyone the service of computing the required pass-code numbers. You also need a Toyota Techstream system that can communicate reliably with the car, of course.

If you haven’t worked with the Smart Key system before, I highly recommend reviewing Toyota’s training manual, Smart Key System: Course T973B Handbook, especially Section 7 (Smart Key System, 2004-2009 Prius), available (to anyone) by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

sam spade 2 and SFO like this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to either have it towed to a Toyota dealer and spend $$$$ to have it fixed, or find a mobile locksmith with the equipment to do it and spend $$ to $$$. Those are your options.