1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can 17" wheels go on Prius Touring with 16"OEM?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bayareakirk, May 29, 2009.

1. bayareakirk

bayareakirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm frustrated by the limited choices and high prices of tires for the Touring Prius. I was noticing that people say the newest Prius has improved handling with 17" wheels...... which got me thinking. Rims are not that expensive. Would it work to switch to 17" wheels?

What would pros and cons be if it works?

Any ideas or experience appreciated.

2. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's exactly like putting larger wheels on any car. Reminder for anyone who comes into the thread, wheels (the metal rims) and tires (the rubber) are not the same thing.

If you get larger wheels for your car, with the proper backspacing and the proper size tire, you will not see any rubbing or speedometer issues. This is because the proper sized tires will have a thinner profile (sidewall) in order to perfectly match the outer diameter of the stock tires on a smaller wheel. Slight handling differences will be noticed in this case as the tire with a thinner sidewall will not flex as much in turns and such. Some prefer this, some don't. Some call it "improved handling" and some say it rides too hard.

The only difference in the 2010s is the 15" tires look like balloons and the 17" tires have the thin profile (which is fashionable on performance cars).

There's no downside if you do it right. There can be issues if you just throw any old 17" (or larger) rim and tire on there. The biggest issue is clearance of course. Next, the suspension and steering may not be designed to handle the larger wheels and tires and may wear quicker. Another thing is the spedometer may not read correctly.

I would say if you do not like the wheels available go ahead and switch them out aftermarket. Find someone who knows what they're doing and you will not have any issues.

3. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This gets me thinking.

If we install 'taller' tires on the Prius and as a result screw up the speedometer, does that mean we can glide at more than 41 MPH (even though the speedometer would read <41)?

-->Adam

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were you and did not like the limited selection and high prices of tires available in the Touring OEM 195/55R16 size, I would either:

(a) move to another size like 205/55R16 in which A LOT of tires are available, or

(b) get the highly regarded Falken Ziex ze-912 which is available in the OEM 195/55R16 size and costs only $77 each plus shipping at OnlineTires.com:

ZIEX ZE-912 - OnlineTires.com

5. ashe

ashe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i thought about doing the same by going to a larger wheel... 16" or 17". the downside would be the added weight of larger wheel & more rubber. that is if you don't mind losing a few more mpg. there are lighter weight wheels but they will cost a lot more.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure

The 17s fit great and the handling is MUCH improved but you will sacrifice MPG and you will most likely increase road noise. Tires are much more expensive as well. :)

Attached Files: