1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a Good Independant Shop Work on a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KJR, Mar 27, 2012.

1. KJR

KJR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius with about 46k miles.

Can most independent shops work on a Prius for most maintenance items nowadays or am I stuck with the dealer?

I need to have a headlight assembly replaced and I was thinking of letting an independant shop replace the assembly. I've taken my Honda Element to them several times and they did good work in replacing the two AC electric fans on the radiator plus brakes and fluid changes.

Thanks

Kelvin

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Only those independent shops that have gone through the effort to learn about Hybrid cars can handle problems in the Hybrid drive system. there are a few of them around the country.

The normal parts of the car can be worked on by any good mechanic, just ask here before having him touch the cooling or hydraulic systems of your Prius.

JeffD

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say yes "if" you have a good relationship with "shop" Also may want to find out if they have a current "TIS" and alldata .Dealer's can be okay to .....

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP, it would help if you had at least your state set for your location.

A bunch of folks here can attest to good independent hybrid garages.

5. MacsVoltage

MacsVoltage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A technical shop can. As the other posts stated a TIS system is a must and you should ask for their credentials. Training is a must but no replacement for hands on experience. I believe Prius Chat can help you locate a great shop in your area. Another example of how confident the shop is shown in their warranty. A good shop is 12 months 12,000 miles parts and labor as most dealers are. A better shop is 24/24 a great shop is 36/36. Hope this helps.