1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a movie play through the USB C with an adapter?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by Argyros, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Strange question- can you play a movie if you have it on a USB dongle, provided there's an adapter to USB-C to play in the media input?

It seems as if the media side of the USB-C would do that, but before I go buy an adapter, I want to know if anyone has tried doing that?

otatrant likes this.
  2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You mean to play a movie thru the multi media display?

3. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  4. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yes/no. The car can't play a video in its stock configuration(US market). However there are ways to get around that if you use an android phone. Maybe for iphone as well, though I don't have any info on that. What you'll need is an app on your phone that is Android Auto(or CarPlay) compatible that can also play videos. Since Google, Apple, and Toyota don't want the liability of a person getting into a crash while watching a movie, you're not going to be able to get an app like that through the official stores. To make it work, you're going to have to take the chance of installing an alternate installer. I've done it to install a YouTube player(CarPlay), but there have been others that haven't been willing to take the risk. It's understandable. The choice will be up to you. You're going to want to do some googling of your phone and the video type you want to play.

otatrant likes this.
  5. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Hopefully not while driving. Getting caught in Oregon (not involved in a crash) would get you a fine as high as $1000.00.

6. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Really on the fence about playing a video at all; just wondering if it was available.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't tried it yet, but the Europe manual certainly suggests it can play videos from USB drives. Even discusses the video option screens and my favourite bit was noting that stretching or cropping videos might infringe copyright rules. As an aspect ratio purist, I approve of this warning.

tovli likes this.