1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a nav system be installed in a prius after the fact?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by i-man, Apr 17, 2007.

1. i-man

i-man New Member

I am a new 2007 Touring Prius owner with package #3 ..i didnt get the Nav system due to the economy of scale. I was wondering, if a nav system was taken out of a prius wreck or parts cart, could it be installed in another vechicle? Im assuming not but i was trying to understand my options. thanks! Ira

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(i-man @ Apr 17 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]424709[/snapback]</div>

I just had my dash apart yesterday to swap out a radio, and I can tell you, if it needs additional cabling to hook up to, then you cant, there are no extra cables laying around under there. I think there are different harnesses for each package. I searched for something under there that may be used for the smart key system, but it isnt there. Where ever there are blanks in the dash, you would think there would be a harness or a plug already wired up, but taped back not neeed, but I did not see any. Bummer though I was hoping I could add the smart key to it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be a much better use of your time and money to buy a 3rd party nav even if this is somehow possible. Something like the TomTom series have built in Bluetooth, are more user friendly, less expensive, transferable to another vehicle, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's sweet having the Built in NAV and BT, but if the car didn't come that way I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for it.

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]424718[/snapback]</div>
    I'll second that opinion. However, DO buy one. The tool is a stress reducer in unfamiliar situations.