1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can an EVAP system leak cause the Check Hybrid System message to appear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Troy McClure, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The morning after filling the tank of my 2011 Prius, the Check Hybrid System message appeared. The gas engine will not start and the car will not move, as going into D or R only brings up a message stating that the car should be in P to start. I got the 12v battery tested and it is fine. An entry level Thinkcar OBD2 scanner shows no DTC codes, and only states that the EVAP system leak test failed. No specific code is provided by the scanner and just states that the test failed. Would an EVAP leak, such as a bad gas cap (which looks ok as far as I can tell), actually prevent the car from running, or is it likely something else?

#1 Troy McClure, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Highly UNlikely.
    And you should not necessarily trust the first pronouncement that the 12 V battery is "fine".

3. Troy McClure

Troy McClure New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was the Inverter. Covered under recall J0V. Waiting for it to be installed, and hoping dealer doesn't pull any bs.