1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can any of these annoyances can be fixed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Andrew73249, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Andrew73249

Andrew73249 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my 2006 Prius for several years now and while it has generally been a good car, I've become aware of several minor annoyances over the years. I admit that a lot of this is just me griping, but I am legitimately curious as to whether any of these could be fixed, hacked, or otherwise remedied. Thanks very much for any ideas, or possibly just commiseration!
    1. Unlike the switch for any of the other windows, the driver's side window automatically rolls all the way up or down when engaging the switch. This is ridiculous. It's like a little game you have to play every time you want to adjust the window to a particular height.
    2. When the car is in reverse, there is a persistent beeping noise regardless of whether the car is in motion or not. Completely pointless and highly irritating.
    3. When driving at high speed with any of the windows rolled down more than a few inches (especially the rear windows), there is an unbearable throbbing/turbulence noise that is unlike anything I've ever experienced in any other car I've ever been in (except for other Priuses).
    4. Unlike many other cars I've driven (including my 1998 Corolla), the radio volume does not fade in gradually when it is first turned on. In other words, if the radio was on loud when I was in the car last time, I will get the crap scared out of me the instant I start the car this time.
    5. The middle console design is atrocious. Because the lid is so large and raises only part way, it is more or less impossible for me to reach inside the console from the driver's seat without severe contortions.
    6. The touch display requires me to hold the up or down button on the temperature control to set it to the desired temperature, but the response is very sluggish. For example, it takes about 12 seconds of holding my finger on the display to go from "LO" to "HIGH".
    7. Whenever I turn on the front window defogger, the outside air intake is activated, regardless of whether I want this or not. Sometimes the outside air intake activates after a period of time even if I have previously deactivated it and not made any other changes.
    8. This is a new one that just started last week: Regardless of any of the settings I choose, the LCD display shuts off automatically after 20 seconds of inactivity. Have no idea why that has spontaneously started happening.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

1. Yes. If you lightly press/pull the driver’s side switch, it will roll down/up until you release your finger. It’s only if you press/pull past a “click”, will it automatically roll up or down.
    2. Disabling the Reverse Beep | PriusChat
    3. No. The Prius is aerodynamic which may increase the probability of the turbulence. Opening a front window for a cross breeze may help
    4. Unfortunately, no
    5. The lid opens 90°. I usually use my elbow to fully lift it up if I’m driving
    6. That’s weird. You can also use the TEMP controls on the steering wheel to adjust the temperature
    7. That’s the correct use of a front defogger. Outside air is (usually) drier. Putting the car in recirculation without A/C on increases the cabin humidity.
    8. No idea either. It could be on its way out?

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2. As mentioned already, this can be changed to a single beep, but it needs to be reset every time the 12 V power is lost, like when the 12 V battery is disconnected or runs flat.

3. You shouldn't be run at high speed with any windows open. Keep the windows closed and use the climate control.

5. If the driver, use your left hand to open the console lid right up to 90º. If the passenger use your right hand to open it.

6. Why would you need to change the temp from LO to HI or vice versa? Usually, you adjust the temp up or down 1 or 2 degrees and it is easiest to use the steering wheel controls to do this. The only time I use the MFD climate screen is when I'm the passenger and again only need to adjust up or down by one or two clicks.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to get rid of the window feature. The window feature will come back if you roll the window all the way down and then back up with no time in between.

2) There's a method you can find by google search to turn off reverse beep but at some point you're going to forget you're in reverse and accelerate away from at stop light and risk smashing into the car behind you. So it you have slow reflexes and drive fast, you don't want to delete the beep.

3) The car's aerodynamics are designed for high MPG not for luxury acoustics with windows rolled down at freeway speed.

4) Sounds like a personal problem. If you insist on driving a 15 year old car you don't get a volume feature like that.

5) I removed the center console and replaced it with a pillow. It make the front seats feel more like a bench seat and my long legs finally aren't cramped but comfortable on long drives.

6) Use the temp control buttons on your steering wheel instead... Both options go up or down real fast with repeated tapping rather than pressing and holding. It's a 15 year old car, you can't expect much.

7) Learn to live with it by pushing the button for inside air soon as you turn it on.

8) Push display button and click Trip information, problem solved.

6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was scared and spilled my coffee a couple of times early in the morning after my son drove the car and blasted the volume.

7. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    8. Possibly backlight driver circuit or backlight element (2006 have CCFL tube or LEDs ?) is failing when heat up.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    8. See PriusCamper's response. Somehow the option to "turn off" the display was selected. That option exists for people who aren't interested in viewing details of the hybrid system functions while they drive.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.