1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anybody give me a good reason to not rip off the ugly plastic wheel covers off the rims?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sl7vk, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think those stupid plastic wheel coverings are ugly as hell, and I don't understand why they are on the car. The rim itself looks just fine without it!

So please tell me why I shouldn't rip those ugly bastards off. Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They supposedly improve the aerodynamics of the wheels, but many others agree with your opinion of their appearance and have removed them with no measurable affect on mpg.

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]296566[/snapback]</div>
    Took mine off my 2005 after 18,000 miles and wondered why I waited so long to do it. No noticeable effect upon MsPG. Perhaps you would see a difference if the majority of your miles are (is?) on the highway.

Picked up my wife's 2006 Saturday, popped them off before we left the car lot (to the surprise of the saleswoman).

rpm

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can't give you a functional reason, only an aesthetic one (ironically). Twice I've had curbs jump out in front of me in parking lots, and the trim rings took the hit instead of the wheels. If they get too scratched up, I'll be able to replace them a lot more cheaply and easily than the wheels.

Jim

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's all a matter of personal choice. If you don't like them, by all means take them off!! I think any aerodynamic advantage they have is negligible anyhow. I took mine off, got a few opinions and ultimately decided to put them back on. It's totally up to you, and however you think the car looks best... :)

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I left mine off. The wheels tend to miss curbs without the rings. The notch in the wheel just clears most curbs.

Nate

7. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    You know, really, it's best if you don't actually hit the curb with your wheels. . . Now before any of you flame me for being an obnoxious, smart alec newb, I've got to admit that I just did this with my G35. It's an amazing sound concrete makes as it removes substantial quantities of aluminum from a wheel. :blink:

8. marjam

marjam Member

Take them off! Take them all off!

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's hilarious is that this thread just popped up right *next* to
    the "Prius Trim Rings Wanted" thread in the new-posts list.
    So clearly, the "they're ugly" school needs to give all their trim
    rings to the "i like them but mine are all beat up" crowd.
    _H*

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Anyone got a picture of the factory wheels without the wheel covers??? I too have heard the factory wheels dont look too bad, but i've never seen a Pruis without the covers. I too understand they are designed to reduce parasite drag and hence the drag coefficient it better with them on. I added mud flaps this past weekend, so for the sake of protection of the investment, I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of MPGs. :D

11. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 2 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]296719[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to see what the factory wheels look like without the trim rings - just pull 'em off. No tools required. They are easy to snap on and off with no harm done.
    As to their function - the salesman told me the rings are there to prevent curb scuffing of the wheels.
    Mine are hanging in the garage. :p

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 2 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]296719[/snapback]</div>
    You betcha.
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_wheel_trim.htm
    Lots more here: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_splash_guards.htm

In fact, look at any of the pictures on my site. I remove the rings at the dealership before driving home. I didn't want anybody to actually SEE those things on my car!

13. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Aug 2 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]296723[/snapback]</div>
    And are a potential source for the thread looking for some. You ever wonder how e-bay came into existence?

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I cracked one of mine against a curb so I took them all off, looks some better. I see lots of folks still have theirs on in La Mesa.

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I took my car to the dealership for the latest service campaign and the service advisor pointed out the my trim rings were missing. He seemed surprised when I told him that I had taken them off and thought that the wheels looked better that way.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Mine are off (3 purposly ... the other one upon curb impact ... who knows when). But last week I got smugged out. A guy at the local hand car wash had a brand new '06 that not ONLY had the rings off ... he had his bare wheels CHROMED. Way cool. I may be checkin into that myself.

17. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Aug 2 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]296565[/snapback]</div>
    It's better to risk scratching the trim rather than the rim. The trim would be easy to replace. If you push against the curb hard enough while parallel parking, you could scatch the rim. Though I suppose you could just put the trim back on to cover the scratch. Personally, I think the trim looks fine.

18. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    First mod I made when I got home with the new Prius. Pulled the trim rings off. I agree that you leave'em on if you like'em and you take'em off if you don't.

19. ajprius

ajprius New Member

OFF, didn't last more than 5 minutes when we got home...
    they popped off so easy I almost fell backwards.

<div align="left">So really they are a hazard too... :blink: duh...</div>
    <div align="left">Looks much better now, clearly worth the 'risk'</div>

20. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I like the rings. I feel that without them the wheels look rough and unfinished.

If you take them off, don't throw them away. You'll want to put them back if you sell the car.