1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone help? car will only go in to ready mode after resetting batteries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Czupik, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Michael Czupik

Michael Czupik New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2008 Toyota Prius and will only go in to ready mode after I disconnect the batteries. One I do that it will start and drive after a little while the red triangle the suspension light and a light that looks kind of like this (!) with a circle around it will come on. it will drive fine until you shut it down. once shut down it wont go in to ready mode until the batters are reset again. There are no OBD2 codes coming up and AUX battery test good.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are OBD codes, but the reader you're using isn't picking them up.

As for your most likely problem? HV isolation fault. The high voltage portion of your electrical system is designed to be 100% isolated from the rest of the car. Sometimes, due to transaxle winding failure (think of the transaxle as just a large electric motor), inverter failure, cable insulation failure, or the very common HV battery electrolyte leakage, this insulation value degrades and the safety circuit detects it. If you disconnect the 12v battery, it resets the safety circuit and allows the car to operate again. If the fault is detected again while driving, the car will continue to operate, but will not allow it to go to ready mode again if you shut it off (unless you disconnect eh 12v again).

There ARE codes in the ecu that will give more info about the suspected fault location. You just need a reader that will see them.

strawbrad likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check the inverter fluid reservoir for fluid movement when in ready