1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone help me diagnose DR. Prius battery photos

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RSmall, Jan 8, 2023.

1. RSmall

RSmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Car has set for a little over a year. Before it was parked it had a reconditioning of about 4-6 cells I can’t remember exactly. But was running good before it was parked. I have some screen shot ls from the DR Prius App. Car will not run. Trying to figure out what I need to do to get it functioning.

thanks in advanced for any help.

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Welcome to the forum! Blocks 1, 2, 3 and 4 have discharged to the point of failure. This is kind of typical for a gen 2 that has sat for a while and is usually due to corrosion on some of the pins in one of the HV battery ecu sockets. At a minimum, the HV battery needs to be repaired or replaced. Anything else is possible, so it would be good to have a health check performed using the Toyota Techstream software.

Where are you in SC?

3. RSmall

RSmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the reply. I am Upstate near Rock Hill, SC.

4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you have an older type 12v battery charger that is just a transformer and a meter that shows voltage and/or amps and a number of different charging selections, like Trickle, Medium and Fast, select the trickle or lowest charge rate and connect the charger across the positive and negative terminals of the first 2 modules. Let it charge for a while, 15 mins or so, then check the app again and see if the first two modules are improving. If they are, swap module 1 & 2 and change to module 2 & 3 and repeat the process. It will take a while and module 2 will come up faster than module 1 or 3 because it is getting a lot more charging time. Once module 2 reaches the same level as the rest of the pack, just charge module 1 for a while, then module 3 for a while and switch between the modules.
    If any of the modules don't respond to the recharging process, they have died and will need to be replaced.
    If you can get the module voltages back up, then you should be able to get the system to start up again and at least be able to drive somewhere to get the whole lot checked out if you can't do it yourself.

T1 Terry

RSmall likes this.
  5. RSmall

RSmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for the advice. I am going to try that. I have just found out I have access to a grid charger, would that work any better? I also have an old style transformer charger like you suggested using. I appreciate your knowledge and replying to my post.

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It needs to be a truely dumb charger, the smarter chargers need to see a voltage to turn on and they will not provide any charging current if the modules are deeply discharged.
    Look at the links that join the modules together, if they have a lot of green junk built up on them, a sheet of wet & dry sandpaper, probably around 180 grit, and some WD40 or similar, and while keeping the paper wet, polsh the links up nice and clean as well as the small terminals that do the voltage sensing.
    The junk build up is caused by excess pressure in the module because the over pressure release valve is stuck closed. This forces some of the KOH electrolyte to leak out around the terminal. The valve is under the nozzle bit that the vent tubes slip over. There is a process to release these valves but it involves drilling a hole in the module, pressuring the module while it is restrained within some sort of clamping, like two bits of wood and G clamps, till the pressure valve releases. Once it has realeased a few times, it will revert to the 80PSI or so that it was originally intended to release at. While you are at that stage, you may as well refill the module with KOH to replace what was lost.
    Try the search box in the top right hand corner and look for threads on rehydrating NiMh modules, or try Google and it will probably find the threads on the Prius Chat forum ...... all is explained regarding the process if you decide to go down this path .... very time consuming, but very rewarding as well, you get to learn as you go.

T1 Terry

7. RSmall

RSmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That sounds good I’ll start researching. Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me with this.

8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can't even call it "Paying it Forward" I have received so much help from all the forums I belong, it's only fair and the right thing to do to share what I understand and have picked up along the way from this and other forums, it's what separates these type community social media groups from the commercial ones that are not always beneficial to their members ..... long live the forums :)

T1 Terry

Ernie stires and RSmall like this.
  9. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RSmall.

I assume your battery modules are nimh. If so you have large imbalance newer/older cell/module's. Most likely the new cells/modules are lower internal resistance (Newer Modules with more capacity) .

I think that app your using is faking the internal resistances of the modules. No way are your four low voltage modules IR is .019 Ohms
    while all the normal voltage modules are indicated to have the same internal resistance of .019 Ohms . NO WAY.

Try the torque app for android.You will need the extended pid's. Torque app can be configured to show IR, and voltage out to 3 decimal places IE .019 ohms all modules displayed on a single page. I've had the torque app running continously for 11 years (every sensor monitored).

These rebuilt/reconditioned prius batteries can never be balanced using mixed capacity cells/modules (different used/aged cell capacites).

These rebuilt prius batteries are easily spotted by reading the modules internal resistance with torque app. Or other reliable IR meter.
    My orignal 2009 modules with 126000 miles are all within .001 ohms of each other. Each 2 module pair varies in resistance based on state of charge and cell temperature from about .020 - .028 ohms (my 2009 orignal modules) but all are .001 ohms of each other.

That apk your using is B.S ... showing all cells in perfect condition for your prius that wont run !

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The battery ecu sets the block IR as a default value of 19 milliohms when the codes are cleared. It takes operational time before it can collect voltage data and calculate "actual" IR.

The OP has two modules with shorted cells.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

epoch_time likes this.
  11. RSmall

RSmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your reply. I will look into that for more accurate results.