1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can anyone link me to costs for hybrid R and D by auto manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by thedutchtouch, Nov 1, 2008.

1. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm looking for data on how much it costs major automakers to develop hybrid technology. currently i'm in a class where we have to do a feasibility study on chrysler putting out a new hybrid. I've decided to research costs of developing a drivetrain, that would fit the town and country minivan, meaning it could also be adapted for dodge's minivan as well as the wrangler because they currently share a drivetrain.

Please dont post just saying chrysler is going broke and won't do it, i need some actual cost figures.

thanks in advance

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use Google to look for "two mode GM." Chrysler participated in a joint development effort for the "two mode" transmission.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

not that simple... drivetrain contains many parts, one of which are hybrid components... for instance in the case of GM, R&D for batteries is done by battery manufacturer that wins the bid...

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There must be some beancounter somewhere that has an idea. Try contacting Toyota USA, Chrysler, and or GM.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi ...dutch...,

If this is some kinda buisness class, please be sure to research the cost of not developing the hybrid car.

6. atroader

atroader Engineer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I studied design engineering, and can tell you these costs will vary widely across the board depending on the company, the size of the design team, the technologies being considered or developed, etc. There is a reason Nissan and GM wanted to lease hybrid technology from Toyota (and Nissan did)... because this can cost a fortune depending on the scope of the study.

Most hybrid drivetrain design alternatives have already been investigated and typically the series and parallel modes are greatly considered as of late. Much of the design alternative research is actually done in conjunction with many government laboratories, such as Argonne Nat'l Labs, the DOE, etc.

At this point, assume Li-ion or Li FeSO4 batts are available, so an OEM really only has costs of considering how size and piece together available components into a functional chassis. With current 'leading-edge' technologies and few companies producing the needed parts, the bigger expenses are found within supply chain managment. Also the costs of rigorous testing of the designed hybrid system of all selected elements pieced together. These later costs are similar to standard vehicles.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would a manufacturer make the real figures public?

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There are companies can provide you with this kind of data or reports.
    They are not free because it requires a lot of research, usually in tens of thousands of dollars per copy.
    Don't expect anyone on this forum will give it to you free.