1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone make a comparison of various hybrid system?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hilux, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    many car companies introduced their hybrid system.
    we knew Toyota use THS system, one planetary gear with two motor, no clutch, but PHEV has. ford use the same system.
    GM use two planetary gears with two clutchs, and an extra one to prevent ICE reverse.
    Honda use two big motors, called i-MMD, works like a series hybrid
    Hyundai and others use traditional transmission and coupled with a motor.

can anyone analyze the efficiency, cost and performance?take the midsize sedan as example, accord hybrid, camhy, Malibu hy, Sonata Hy.
    As i know is:
    cost
    honda>toyota=gm>Hyundai and others
    performance
    Honda=toyota>gm>Hyundai
    efficiency
    Honda>gm>toyota>Hyundai

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The manufacturers don't publish their component costs so it's hard to know that angle very well.

The Hyundai and Camry have lower EPA efficiency ratings than the Malibu or Accord but the Camry design is somewhat old and due for an update incorporating gains that Toyota has achieved on the new 2016 gen 4 Prius and Prius Prime PHEV. Other tradeoffs can impact efficiency like the Volt vs. Malibu motor cost vs. hybrid efficiency.

Series designs like Honda's i-MMD require larger motors and power inverters which would seem to inherently raise costs. Single motor systems like the Sonata have lower motor and power inverter costs but have the added cost of a mechanical transmission of some kind. Series/parallel systems like the Prime/Camry and the new generation Volt/Malibu require two motors and power inverters but they can be smaller than the Honda ones because most of the power flow through the planetary gears is always mechanical.

Electrical mode efficiency is also unclear. Honda does well with 115 MPGe on their Accord hybrid plug-in but Toyota claims to get 120 MPGe in the Prime. The Volt's 106 MPGe lags a bit behind but it's large battery pack ultimate gives it uniquely long EV range.

Ultimately, the various manufacturer system implementation choices will result in products with actual costs, performance, and efficiency. Over time we will see which approach delivers the best tradeoffs.

For a deep-dive technical evaluation see
    Fuel Consumption and Cost Potential of Different Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Architectures but this will cost you $26, is a rough approximation based on mathematical modeling, and is now becoming out of date since it is based on the 1st generation of i-MMD which has now been refined and the 1st generation Volt which has been completely redesigned for 2016+.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Converted into usage as a function of distance,

106mpge= 2.219Le/100km
    115mpge = 2.045Le/100km
    120mpge=1.960Le/100km

Using the Prius Prime as the baseline, the Accord PHEV uses 85mL (2.87 fl. oz) more per 100km and the Volt uses 259mL (8.76 fl. oz.) more per 100km of equivalent gasoline fuel.

5. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank your comments.
    for the cost, I refer to a document called <Hybrid Vehicles Technology Development and Cost Reduction>, published by ICCT.
    for performance, I refer to C&D test, for efficiency, I refer to EPA and fuelly, as well as national lab's D3 download data.
    If you notice some details, the malibu hybrid motor is smaller than camhy, but more clutch and planetary gear set.
    furthermore, we can't compare these midsize sedan with Prius, the size , weight, wind drag, tires are all different. that's why I select these sedan. otherwise, I can add some car like BMW I3
    plug-in also can't be compared directly, the Volt can reach to 80 miles, whereas Prius Prime only 30 miles around, accord plug-in even less, 10 miles or something like it.
    their weight vary too much.