1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can base model be upgraded to transmitting keyfob easily?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ryououki, May 25, 2006.

1. Ryououki

Ryououki New Member

I have a model 0 94 Prius. I of course purchased the car the moment I saw it without doing any kind of research on different models. It didn't help that this was the only Prius they had on the lot. So I stuck myself with a base model. Not a huge deal, but I'd really like have the ability to lock/unlock the car with the little handle buttons as well as to get in the car and just press the power button.

What I need to know is, does the base model already have everything it needs to perform the same way a model 3 Prius would? Is the wiring already run to the door handles and simply need replacement of the handles that have the buttons? Is the ECU already capable of recognizing the upgraded transmitters?

It is pretty easy to find the handles at junk yards nowadays thanks to people that suck at driving. So if everything is already there, it'd be a piece of cake to upgrade. If the ECU needs to be swapped out as well, that isn't too hard, but which ECU unit needs to be swapped?

Thanks all!

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryououki @ May 25 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]261079[/snapback]</div>
    No, it does not have all the wiring, nor the SKS ECU (it's a separate ECU).

You'd probably have an easier time of it by buying an SKS Prius then selling yours. No joke. The SKS is *extremely* expensive to replace new, and finding all the right parts in a junkyard would probably take a very long time. AND you'd have to find a car that still had the Master fob to match the ECU for it all to work. And it still might not even work then.

3. Ryououki

Ryououki New Member

Thank you for the info.. Sad news for me though. Oh well, I do not know, maybe I will sell the Prius, but I'm not really sure I'd buy another one though.