1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Blizzard Pearl paint be matched?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CaptPJB, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Suffered a minor parking lot bump came back and found the front corner of lower bumper was cracked. The whole front plastic lower bumper was replaced by the Toyota shop but the paint match is not perfect. I suspect it is something to do with the metallic in the white pearl paint as from some angles and light it looks good but from others it appears to be a slightly lighter shade

My question is am I expecting too much with a Pearl Blizzard to get a virtually non noticeable color match?

Any comments and suggestions appreciated

Peter

2. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    These bumpers are mismatched from the factory!
    Read this post http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...5952-bumper-color-mismatch-sandy-beach-v.html
    A good body shop could do a better job than the factory
    I know a body guy he said Toyota is the worst!!
    look at the new cars at the dealer all the bumpers have a slight mismatch.
    It took me a while to get use to it!!
    It still bugs me sometimes,you can't look for it!

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I not as familiar with pearl paints, but for metallic paints, it is tricky to get a perfect match, and I would assume it's similar for pearl. In addition to color matching (which applies to all paint) the metallic flakes need to lay the same way as the original paint to match perfectly--or different lighting conditions and angles might result in a less than perfect match.

Even from the factory, often times metallic bumpers will not perfectly match the rest of the body, since they are often painted on a separate line than the main body.

1 person likes this.
  4. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the comments. I never noticed any difference before the bump but then maybe I just did not look close enough!

I used to have a white Acura that came new with a plastic rear bumper to metal mismatch but after a visit to the Acura paint shop they did a perfect match.

Was really asking if anyone else had had a Blizzard repaired and how it turned out as am not sure whether to see if the body shop needs to try again or not.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 Prius V in Blizzard. I was involved in a front end collision in May, and they needed to replace the front bumper cover, pull a few dents elsewhere, and repaint, basically, the entire passenger side of the vehicle, and both bumpers. To be honest, I cannot tell that any paint work was done, and if anything both bumpers may actually look better now than when new.

So to answer your question, yes a qualified shop should have no issue getting your BP to be a perfect match. In my case (The Wreck Room in Villa Park, Illinois - Highly recommended by both State Farm and myself) uses DuPont paints, which I understand to be the defacto 'best' for paints, and it looks terrific. Even in direct sunlight, YES, it is a PERFECT match. Ill try to post a few pictures soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I, too, have a Blizzard Pearl V. The "mismatch" from the factory between bumpers, door handles & body is noticeable as one walks around the front of the car. The "flake" issue is actually called "flop" in the industry vernacular.

My 2004 Phaeton with the Luna Blue Pearl was exquisitely repaired after a rear shunt by America's Auto Body in Schaumburg, IL, for anyone in the area who may need assistance.

7. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update
    The Toyota body shop has admitted the paint color and finish is not as good as it should be.

Scheduled to take it back in 12 July for another try.

Will post results

8. Barefoot

Barefoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bumpers don't match the body on my 2010 Blue Ribbon IV

9. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First paint job they just sprayed the new front bumper and put it on. Color difference was very noticeable at the hood bumper line. Second time they repainted it plus blended it in on the hood and sides and it looks much better. Unfortunately in putting the bumper back on they damaged a turn signal light but they replaced that after it came in ( Special order)
    So all in all three visits but it is a good match now probably as good as it gets with white pearl.

In all this shop was very friendly but obviously did not make any money on the deal as they supplied the rental care for the second spray job, five days.

Peter