1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Dealers Tamper with New Car Tail Lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Mar 21, 2024.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My brother and his wife just purchased a new Toyota vehicle, parting with nearly a year's pay in the process.

During price negotiations the dealer demanded $400 for a dealer-installed tail light "pulser".

I put one of these on my Avalon years ago to blink the high-mounted tail light when the brake lights turned on. I think I paid $8 for the blinker module on EBay and installed it in about 10 minutes.

Can Toyota dealers monkey around with vehicle safety hardware like tail lights without running afoul of NHTSA rules or Toyota's supervision?

Is a dealer permitted to tamper with any safety hardware: brakes, seat belts, fuel tank shields, etc?

BTW, this vehicle did pass to the buyers with the pulser on it, despite the device being deprecated during price negotiation.

2. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I don't know if I would consider it "tampering" but for $400 I would tell them to remove it and deduct the $400

3. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I did an internet search on the pulser and learned that it's a common dealer strategy to raise profits on new car sales.

One poster on another website mentioned that his dealer wanted $1200 for the pulser.

I think the pulser's charge always gets negotiated away but serves to distract the buyer from the reality that he's paying sticker or sticker-plus price for the vehicle.

If I were a car manufacturer I'd yank the franchise of any dealership that demeaned my product like this.

If you have to resort to sales tactics like this to be profitable, you're in the wrong business.

4. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That's not as bad as the time when I bought a car, and the salesman tried to sell me nitrogen in the tires for an extra $300. I declined, but he said it would pay for itself in 3 months.
    Such a bald faced lie, I've never forgiven them.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well generally speaking they can demand whatever they want- you either agree to it or not.

There are several completely legal ways of "pulsing" the taillights. Whether the device they installed actually uses any of those methods isn't clear and would require further investigation.

Would be kind of funny if you bought it, found that they weren't using one of the legal types and found a way to bust them on it...

6. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Factory wiring harnesses are the most beautiful and reliable things WHEN NOBODY MESSES WITH THEM. Any aftermarket wiring is asking for ugly electrical problems in the future. Unless there's a really good reason, don't mess with the wiring. Especially for some aftermarket upgrade that you don't need. Run, don't walk, to the next dealer.

7. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I remember telling my brother something similar to "walk away...bad dealer". He countered that inventory in Midwest Toyota dealerships is still low two years after the end of the pandemic, or is a consequence of a new "keep inventory off dealer lots" decision by Toyota.

Brother wanted a vehicle with few options and few of these exist.