1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can engine oil overfill cause check engine light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius4ed, Apr 28, 2011.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put 4 qts Mobil 1 motor oil in, with a new Mobil filter. Drove 400 miles no problem. Parked car a week. Drove car to find CEL on. Can overfull oil cause this? (I heard it can cause lower gas mileage.)

2. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PS - with 4 qts, the engine oil level is half inch over the full mark, car parked on level ground. Did not drain yet. Need to fix CEL problem, and relative is using car daily while I'm not in town.

3. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if it will trip any lights but yes over filling will decrease fuel economy. Also not sure if 4 cycle motors are like 2 cycle in regards to over filling but if you over fill 2 cycle motors you run the risk of blowing motor.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Run the check 12V battery procedure. You had the car parked for a week...

1 person likes this.
  5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 2 cycle engine does not have oil in the block! Oil is mixed into the fuel. Hal

6. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure what that "12v check battery" procedure is...I'll search the forums for it. Are you thinking parking it a week ran down the aux battery? Kind of doubt it, I've parked my other Prius much longer (a month) without a CEL coming on....?

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think we can all agree that if you poured a lot of oil into a 2-smoke engines block that it would cause problems.:evil:

Except for some, such as Detroit Diesel 2-stroke diesels:D

8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first started to change my oil, I worried about getting it dead-on the top mark.

Turns out, it is not as important as it may seem. That doesn't mean you can ignore the marks, though. Half-inch....If I recall, that is probably about 16 oz. too much oil. Too much, sure. Probably not ultra-critical that you fix it right away, but it's not my car. :rolleyes:

If it were just a couple of ounces, I would ignore it, but in your case, you should probably try to fix it.

Easy way -- so I have read, never done it myself -- get a turkey baster. Some skinny plastic tubing. Snake the tubing down the dipstick tube until you "strike oil." Tape tubing to turkey baster with duct tape, start squeezing.

Or, just drain your oil.

Or, use a Fumoto valve in place of your oil drain plug. Makes fixing these errors easy. If you are going to change your own oil, I would recommend the final, Fumoto solution....search google for fumoto valve.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time use 3 quarts. It's plenty. Of course if the engine is burning oil you'll have to check it sooner.

11. Pheenix

Pheenix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, overfilling the engine oil can cause the CEL to come on. This is especially troublesome in subfreezing weather, when "fail to start" related errors may result in a tow to the nearest Toyota dealer.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You might try lowering the level of oil a bit and then disconnect the MAF electrical connector below the air throat. While you are at it, check/ replace the filter, spray the throat and MAF sensor with the proper cleaner, physically wipe down the throat and butterfly valve with a clean napkin , spray connector with electronic spray cleaner AND reassemble. This should cure the Engine Malfunction Light. If you have never cleaned this area, it is way overdue. :cheer2: