1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Faulty Low Pressure Indicator Cause MPG loss?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priifamily, Jan 24, 2012.

1. priifamily

priifamily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 07 with 178K miles is getting about 35MPG and the only thing noticeably different in the constant lighting of the low pressure indicator, even tho the tires are fine.
    Stopping by Costco Tire, the mgr. said there is a battery in the indicator that does wear out, knowing how linked the electronics are in these cars, could this be the cause of the poor mileage?
    Can this part be purchased aftermarket and installed by a DIY-er.
    Thanks for any help.
    TD

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A failed TPMS sensor will not change your mileage or cause any other weirdness with electronics. It will, however, mask an actual drop in tire pressure, which will hurt mileage and compromise safety.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. priifamily

priifamily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    thx Cwerdna , i will do that asap. We own a 10 and an 07 if that helps.

thx Qbee42 I'll check it out. right now nursing daughter who just had four wisdom teeth pulled, hope she is still smarter than her old Dad.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does the 2007 still have the original 12V battery? A failing 12v battery has been known to cause the ICE to not shut down since it's trying to charge the battery. Does the ICE (gas motor) seem to be running all the time?