1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Horntones be installed on a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fintonissimo, May 29, 2011.

1. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't heard of Horntones, it is an mp3 player system made for vehicles which allows the user to select from many different stock car horn sounds, as well as produce customized sounds of all different types. It consists of the speaker, an amplifier, and the control.

Here is the website for horntones:
    Horntones MP3 Car Horn is an air horn, train horn, fog horn and musical horn.

Has anybody successfully installed this system on a Prius? Are there any compatibility problems to be aware of? I don't think the big speaker would fit anywhere under the hood, so I was wondering if somebody was creative and has figured out a way to do it.

Chuck

2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I used to install audio equipment in cars years ago we used to install train horns inside the front bumper of just about any car you can think of.So it is a safe bet that it probably will fit inside front bumper. Also should be no issues installing this as Prius although advanced for the most part is like any other car.

3. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am clueless about this, but assuming there is enough room in the bumper, wouldn't the sound be blocked then? In the case of a train horn, it probably wouldn't matter...but I wonder if it would work with this system. I think the speaker output is 118 db.

Chuck

4. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most front bumper have cut outs in the actual steal bumper so sound would travel with minimal sound loss.

5. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other issue is wondering where the amplifier can be put so that it isn't in the way, and also where I can mount the control so that it is user friendly.

If I end up buying this, I will probably have to pay for somebody to install it for me. However, if there aren't any good options to make the installation inconspicuous, I probably won't go through with it. If I hear from somebody that's already done this it would make me more confident!

6. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    searched there site and was unable to locate dimensions on the control board to help with a proper location but I would recommend going to a local stereo shop as from what I can see it is a simple install should be relatively cheap to have professionally installed. I personally have been tossing the idea around of installing a train horn in my rear bumper to scare the sh@t out of people that tail gate me.:D

7. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree...kind of fun to think about! I emailed Horntones and mentioned that I'm interested in their product. I was originally just looking for a 12 volt klaxon horn to install in the Prius, but none that I found online seemed to sound like the real thing. Then I found the Horntones website...because it is digitally sampled, the klaxon horn is very authentic! It's too bad they don't have a less costly version which would produce only what I'm looking for, the klaxon horn. However, he responded to my inquiry and mentioned that quite a few prius drivers have been using his product because of the Prius being a silent car. He said "Most installations are using Lamborghini and other race car sounds in their Prius." If I can get past the cost of the unit, I bet I could have a lot of fun with it!

Chuck

8. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, now I'm not sure if I want the Horntones, because I found some information on rebuilt Hutchins (aooga) horns. So, now my questions are different...

I don't know where I could put one, but maybe it would fit in the bumper area like the the horntones speaker. The next question, assuming I can find a place to put it, is how to install it separately from the original horns and not have problems with compatibility. I'd like to install a separate button for it in the left side lower dash area. The horn I'm thinking of is similar to the one found in this auction:

JUBILEE12 VOLT AHOOGA HORN POWDER COATED GLOSS BLACK | eBay

Any ideas? I want to know that my idea will work before I pull the trigger on this auction!

Thanks, Chuck