1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I access diagnostics with after market stereo?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusPaddler, Oct 7, 2024 at 3:20 PM.

1. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Considering buying a 2012 Prius v Five with 135k miles.

The previous owner replaced the stereo/cd with a BOSS Elite audio system (BE950WCPA).

So no more CD, but apple and android compatible.

Now, how can I use the display to access things like diagnostics or fuel consumption? Is that gone?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the screen on the dash should have relevant info

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess that would mean you'll have the screen with the hybrid diagrams and all that stuff I'm not sure if that is where the codes display when you're in the maintenance mode or in the Gen 3 that displays on the stereo screen but no matter you just get yourself a good scanner whether it's Toyota branded or a good aftermarket that can read freeze frame and see cookies and all that stuff then you don't have to worry about that or I wouldn't worry about that I never put the car in maintenance mode and read all those silly codes off the screen and display no sir I just plug up my scanner and sitting right on the backseat usually or someplace and have at it The car is green is for information and entertainment.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The real diagnostics are pulled separately with a good to high end scanner.

While there a few mfd centered diagnostics in the mfd, nothing really useful. You will have no factory gps maps and the steering wheel controls might be disabled.

5. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On the other thread you guys talked me out of that car, but I did have steering wheel controls, except hanging up the phone (annoying).

I like seeing consumption and that was not showing on the dash like the 2014 did.

I like setting mtnc required interval and checking 12v battery too.

Oh well, I let the car go. It did have fabulous phone Bluetooth clarity but oh well.

Thank you!