1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I attach Battery Tender directly to battery terminals?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jeff maurer, Dec 25, 2023.

1. jeff maurer

jeff maurer New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I really did search the forums looking for this but didn't find it.
    I want the simplest possible way to attach the Battery Tender plus to my Prius. (Something less likely to be confusing to someone unfamiliar with the setup.)
    I know I can attach the + clip to the + lead under the red cap in the fuse box and the neg clip to bare metal.
    Can I just attach the + clip directly to the + battery terminal (or one of the metal pieces connected to that terminal - want to leave the battery installed in the car and not loose anything by disconnecting the battery)? And is it best to attach the neg clip to bare metal ground or directly to metal attached to the battery's neg terminal?
    Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can attach directly to the battery to at the jump start points. It will work if you connect to positive of the battery and any metal surface to the car (that's what I do)

jeff maurer likes this.
  3. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Assuming you know that the positive goes to the positive and the negative goes to the negative (trust me, it is surprising how many can’t seem to get that right), and your battery tender you will be connecting is a true trickle charge type (ie: very low amp output): If you are simply connecting it to top it off and then disconnecting it you will have no problem attaching the clips directly to the battery.
    If you want to connect it permanently and all the above applies, you should still be safe as long as the quick disconnect coupling does get submerged in water, that is assuming you are using a quick disconnect coupling and not the clips for the permanent connection.

4. jeff maurer

jeff maurer New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don't understand submerging the quick disconnect coupling in water, but that's probably me. thanks for responding.

5. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    While it is highly unlikely that it would happen, if it did it would short the battery out. I only mentioned it due to the rather crazy things people have said they have done.