1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I check your oil?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hyo silver, Jul 2, 2013.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, the days when the smiling pit crew snapped to attention as you pulled into the service station are long gone, but do they have to charge for air? This afternoon, the air machine at one gas station - there's no way they can be called 'service' stations any more - was out of order, so I drove to another. I bought gas first, because the air machine was in use, and managed to fill the one tire that needed it before the machine conked out. Only then did I discover the slot for coins, and realised I'd been using "somebody else's air".

So, who's the el cheapo here? Me, for thinking that multinational oiligarchies can bloody well afford to maintain an onsite air compressor, or the poor little local gas station just trying to make a buck?

Is charging for air standard practice where you live?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here yeah, but I thought it wasn't back home.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some stations air is $1.50 here, some are free. Atlanta.
    - Alex

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They typically charge for air in these parts, but I always check underneath for a button to press two or three times to start the compressor without having to pay.

JimPHL likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they tried that here 20 or 30 years ago. i don't recall what happened, but it's free everywhere i've been lately.
    edit: i just googled it, and it appears to be hit or miss. but i can remember when it seemed like you couldn't find free air and now, i haven't seen a pay one in quite awhile.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'd had more time, I would have spoken to someone at the first station and told them I wasn't buying gas there today because their air was out of order. I've asked before if I could use the air without buying gas - being sure to mention that I usually buy gas there, which I do - and they were perfectly happy with that.

I left the second station in disgust, and I don't think they really care about my $20 a month in business.

rufaro likes this.
  7. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We pay for it in NJ. They are generally broken. Big surprise, right?

A couple weeks after I picked up the PIP I bought a decent one from Lowe's.

Kobalt 120 psi compressor for cars, bikes, etc. Select the pressure and turn it on. Stops when it gets to the selected psi. Electric cord and air hose wrap around the compressor for storage. Very convenient. About $40 to $50 range.

And, it reminds me to check the tires. Not Iiterally, I just see it every time I go to get a tool :)

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good to know. I was thinking of looking into one of those. Just for the car, though. It'd be too heavy to pack on the bike. ;)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do mine at home too, funny this should come up, i just got the tyre icon today and my right front was 20 lbs.:( have a feeling there's a nail in there. i haven't had a flat in 20 years. arghhh, i shouldn't have said that.:eek:

hyo silver likes this.
  10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've been using my bike pump forever. Once I start using a compressor routinely (pay or free), I'll be the one inflating.

11. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any pep boys near you? If so signing up for their rewards program gets you free flat repair.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a vague memory of getting tokens for the compressor in gas stations when I bought gas, when I lived in Northern Cal. Since I've been in LaLaLand, I check the pressure at home, then drive to the place where I bought the tires or stop at the place I get oil changes. I seem to have trouble wrassling the airhose on gas station machines, and end up with oil stains on my clothes and exposed skin even if I don't think I've touched anything with anything except my hands. Plus, it takes me bloody HOURS, seems like, to get the pressure right. The older (and older and older) I get, the less interest DIY (or DIM, for do it Myself) holds for me. Hell, if it wasn't for the stupid gas bladder, that kicks gas pumps off when there's still room for about another 1.5US gallons, I'd probably let someone else gas the car up, too.

Lazy? Moi?

But this is kinda off topic, huh Hyo? Oh well...senile AND lazy. It just keeps getting better...

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is one here, i'll look into it, thanks!

14. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No problem :)

15. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My little 2 gallon 100 psi compressor gave up the ghost recently and I found a good deal on a 6 gallon 150 psi pancake compressor from Campbell Hausfeld using multiple discounts where my future wife works. I was thinking about a vertical or wheeled 200 psi unit, but I don't have air tools and most of those really work better with 220 v, which I don't have in the garage.