1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I conect a subwoofer + amp?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Anonymous, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello to all,
    I am new here, just found out that great site.
    I am having an issue and hope to get an answer here:
    I want to add an amp (Power accoustik 480W - 250W RMS) and a subwoofer (Power Acoustik - 400W RMS). Now, my question is :
    would the amp work fine with my prius (2004)? or it would drain the battery? I talked to some prius technicians, but none of them had an answer, they told me that the car has 2 batteries and that the charge of the batteries is taking a long time sicne there is not an alternator in my prius. and they dont know what might happen.
    Can I add an amp without adding or replacing the battery?, and if so, what are the MAX Watts I can use ?
    Does anyone used an amp bigger then 100W?

Thanks.....

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to get the amp with the built in prevention battery drain switch. A Best Buy tech told me the good amps will have this to prevent battery drain since some are connected directly to the battery. It kills power when the car is turned off.

I have a 300W power inverter connected straight to my car battery. It seemed to do fine on my trip to San Antonio powering a game console and portable DVD player. I am not sure what is considered a long time to charge.

I do not think you are thinking of it right (DanMan should step in here). The power is supplied to the battery and other systems from the engine. Excess power is then diverted to the batteries. The computer will keep both batteries in check.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The inverter has a DC/DC converter to convert 206V from the HV battery to 12V for the main electrical. This substitutes for the traditional alternator. Now of course if the HV battery gets low, whether it be because of the 12V, AC or MG drain, then the ICE will start to charge it back up again.

The DC/DC converter is suspected to be able to provide at least 80A, which is typical for a standard alternator. Its output is fused at 100A. The aux battery is fused at 150A, and can provide for an excess load for a short period of time.

Interesting thing that I don't get. I read in a few places that it is recommended to not use a charge current of more than 3A to recharge the aux battery, yet the converter output goes straight to the main electrical, and even the battery, though to the battery it has to go through 2 fusable links.

A 480W amp should be fine. First off, you probably will never actually use 480W. Be sure you connect its remote turn-on wire to only allow the amp to turn on when in ACC. You'll have to be smart and not run the radio at max too long when the car is not in READY, but you should be otherwise OK.

By the way, the car will turn off automatically after an hour if in ACC mode.

4. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Jun 8 2005, 11:05 AM) [snapback]96697[/snapback]</div>
    Drawling more than 100A from the DC/DC Converter is bad...

...So a safe working range for a audio system and other acc's is 960 watts? You might as well say 1kw and add a 1F Capacitor? What about drawing 50 - 80A off the DC/DC converter for a prolonged period of time?