1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I extend my extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timinator, Aug 22, 2008.

1. timinator

timinator New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I just picked up an 01 Prius from my mom with only 18,000 miles on it. She has the 7 year Platinum Warranty which expires next month. I was hoping to extend this warranty since I've heard how expensive repairs can be. I asked the local Toyota dealer if this was possible or if Toyota sells and extended warranty for the Prius other than the 7 year one. He didn't know and said he'd check with them and get back with me. Haven't heard from him yet. I looked at other extended warranty companies but in the fine print, they specifically exclude hybrid parts which is mainly what I want covered. Is anyone aware of a company I can purchase an extended warranty from that does cover the hybrid parts?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Franky, IMO extended warranties are a waste of money. Your car is now 7 years old, the price of a warranty for a car that old combined with the value of the car really don't justify it. Priuses have proven themselves to be very low maintenance machines and at the age your car is if something was going to keel over it would have done it by now. Yes, you will have to replace wear items and maybe a few things that fail due to age but as long as you are informed about the repairs (regardless if you can do them yourself) you will come out much further ahead by not trying to by an extended warranty for a 7 year old car.