1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I fly on an airline with a Toyota Prius HV NiMH battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by frostyjordan, Mar 24, 2022.

1. frostyjordan

frostyjordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to transport 28 separated NiMH cell modules with me on a commercial airline in my carry-on or checked-in baggage so I can use them on another 2nd Gen Prius in a different state. I'm aware that TSA has specific rules on batteries that you're allowed to take with you.

TSA website says, "Car batteries, wet batteries, or spillable batteries are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage unless they are being used to power a scooter or wheelchair."

Do the NiMH cell modules count as car batteries or is TSA referring to 12V batteries?

Furthermore, TSA website says, "Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) are allowed in carry-on bags."

Does this mean Toyota Prius 2nd Gen NiMH cell modules are allowed on carry-on bags?

Are the NiMH cell modules dry cell, wet cell, spillable or non-spillable batteries?

The 28 cell modules will be in separate boxes and they all total shouldn't weigh too much

Has anyone ever traveled on an airline with a single Toyota Prius NiMH cell module to fix an HV battery in a different state?

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    frostyjordan likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I flew to Africa a few years ago with about four lithium drill batteries scattered in my luggage. Made it OK. So a couple NiMH modules shouldn't draw any comments. But that many batteries, even if they are not lithium, will draw some attention. And weigh quite a bit. Some airlines weigh the carry ons now.

frostyjordan likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no

frostyjordan likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Carry on would be risky even for me . Checked thru no issue. Dealing with humans is always risky today. Chkd thru eliminates humans and issues .

frostyjordan likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All checked bags also get x-rayed and the x-rays are examined by humans. Some bags are also opened for direct inspection. In fact, I one time had to explain a microwave transmitter that was in a checked bag I was bringing back to the U.S. for repairs.

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealing with humans has always been risky and is usually discouraged. Just ask the HAL 9000

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sure all bags get scanned human inspected whatever you say bags that are checked I'm telling you now I have family in the industry if I must go there they're checked but they are much lower level security then people walking through the gates so again I stick by my statement I would have no trouble probably checking the modules in in boxes in a zippered bag with a lock that TSA can open on it even marked as NIMH batteries and there should be no issue I have a certificate that I fly with regularly because I fly with lithium ion batteries with a device called a travel scoot and it uses a very powerful lithium-ion battery that has to be pre-approved to go on the plane when you buy the scoot it comes with the paperwork that I just keep with the scoot every time it goes on now the flight people know it real well they see it and they're like oh

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. This is almost for sure the best way to avoid hassles. They are extra picky about the carry ons.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This would not be a wise way to go. 28 modules are going to weigh 62 pounds. (2.2 pounds per module). That's going to be very awkward to handle, assuming it's within any weight limits the airline may have. Most airlines also have weight limits on checked baggage. What is your alternate plan if the airline says no? What if they consider it hazmat (right or wrong doesn't matter) and you end up missing your flight because they insist you can't take it on the plane and they're not going to take possession of it? I would find it hard to imagine a checked bag would even get past the first x-ray before being inspected/rejected. Like I said, right or wrong, you could be there a long time trying to get it sorted out.

Go to the post office and get some flat rate boxes. You can get 12 modules? in one medium flat rate box. 17 bucks a box to send anywhere in the US.

Another and jerrymildred like this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No....wrong.

The reason for the rule is that batteries have a bad reputation for catching fire.
    If that happens in the hold where nobody will notice until it is WAY out of hand..............:eek:

The type of batteries makes no difference because nobody wants to take the responsibility of inspecting them to pass or reject.
    And they certainly won't be taking your word for it.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has "ask the airline in advance" been suggested yet?

Merkey likes this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I think so and I get a cert for the batteries way fore checking through . I guess if they sealed and flown before . Then theyres existing protocol . My travel scoot branded lith battery has papers to go . Most big makers have flown . Panasonic etc. Like DeWalt flex can fly with the red cap in place..

14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Flat rebate USPS boxes is the best idea!
    No weight limit on them.

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The problem with this idea is that when you get to the airport and the you tell them that you were told by TSA guy on the phone that it’s ok, and the airport TSA guy says, I have no idea who you talked to, buddy, prove it, you’re F’d.
    Dealing with government folks is never easy and welcome abides by logic.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've both dealt with (a large number of ) government folks, and been a (smaller number of) government folks, and usually found the dealing to be fairly easy, if a few things are kept in mind:

• They're typically following regulations that are in writing somewhere.
    • Those are typically published where you can look them up and read them.
    • If something requires somebody's approval, there is typically a published process or form for how you get that approval, and how you prove that you got it.

In the case of airline cargo restrictions, my understanding is it's not only TSA that's involved. Each airline may have some regs of its own, which is why it's probably important to start with the airline directly.

Because that's a private enterprise, there could be some more difficulties; they might not have their regulations or procedures as clearly published, it might be harder to learn the name and authority (or lack of authority) of the person you're talking to, and so on. Still, for something like "I have X that I'd like to check as cargo, is that acceptable and what must I do if it is?", there is probably a way to get the answer.

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just look at the gatekeeper who can screw the pooch, that is the TSA guy. Seen many a nail clipper confiscated as weapons. Used to carry my trusty Swiss Army knife with me in the good old days. Sigh.

18. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would like to transport 28 separated NiMH cell modules

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Got your dads ole zippo lighter that he carried with him to Korea during the War? A book of matches? Not anymore ya don't .... Love the ole air blaster check in too.