1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can i get tax credit for an 05 in jan 06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nvdv, Oct 24, 2005.

1. nvdv

nvdv New Member

Hi
    New here. Considering buying an new 05 prius. Can I stall the delivery until Jan 06 and get the 06 tax credit?

thanks Nvdv

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, it is NEW, right? i bet it will work.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I think you would need to make the monetary transaction in '06, ie, make sure the purchase order and the final invoice have an '06 date on them.

If you pay for it in '05 and show up to drive off in '06, that is still an '05 transaction. Paying for it in '05 means you 'take delivery' of it then.

Also, I might be mistaken, but the dealer may responsible for some state property (ad velorum?) tax on the vehicle since they were the owners of the vehicle on 12/31. Might depend on the state. Might not find too many dealers to help you out on this.

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Your best bet is to get an '06 Prius in '06, since you won't ba able to find any '05s

5. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I think you're right. Your question may be academic since it's very unlikely you'll find a new 05 in 06. Just place your order with the dealer & take delivery on or after 01/01/06. :)

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

actually, i'm hoping to do this myself - being willing to travel should help. if gas prices keep lowish, and toyota SE keeps only putting out high end packages for the remaining 2005s, there could be a few extra at some dealers. i'll take a 2006 if it comes to it, but i'd love to get a 2005 in 2006 - should be able to get a better price, especially on a loaded one =)

i'll get a package 6 no matter what - but i'll be much happier getting a package 6 2005 =)

7. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had spoken to my dealer about this possibility when placing my order. I think it would be best to pass the car and then take delivery and pay in '06. My dealer was also saying that Toyota probably intends to continue production of the 05's till December. Do not know how true that is though.