1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I hit 600 on this tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dravor, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Previously, I would drive until DTE is 35-40 miles, and I would fill up with 9 Gallons. Using the details below, I believe after 9 Gallons used I would be at around 488 miles. That theoretically should leave me 2.5 gallons, which let's say at 55mpg would mean 165 miles, for a total range of 653 miles. My plan would be to fill up right at 600.

Is my math close, or is it too risky?

Two Blips left

Trip Meter 448miles
    DTE 79 Miles
    Displayed MPG 57.5

Thanks!

2. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You should always take off about 2 mpg from your average because the actual and calculated always seem to differ.

After that, simply multiply this average, so say it says 57 calculated in car so you use 55mpg, and multiply by your tank size of 11.9 or 11.5 to be safe and you get 632 miles. You can easily achieve 600. Although you must be careful and continue driving the same way otherwise you'll use it up a bit quicker. So even if you reach 632 miles you are still safe because you have .4 gallons left which would get you 22 more miles.

Dravor likes this.
  3. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My thought is once I am past DTE, I just need to track the MPG per trip, or reset the B Trip Meter, just to ensure I'm staying at or above 57.5mpg displayed, to ensure I get the theoretical mileage.

Now.... do I have the balls to actually go for 600? Lol.

4. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    lol i did forget to mention to track your tank mileage after every fill up for this to work. But seriously there is no need to "have balls" to do this. It really is simple math if you track your tank mileage. I drive the c so I have a 9.5 gallon tank. If I'm hovering around 58-59 mpg I use 57 and know I can get 541 miles for sure. So I drive till about 540 or so and I'm good. Never have run out. Best tank is 581. You can do 600 no prob in the high 50's mpg.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Once it starts to "flash," carry a 1 gallon spare can of gas. Then monitor the 'energy flow' arrows. When the arrows go away, the last the gas is gone and find a safe place to park. Take photos, do the 'happy dance', and add the extra gallon. Then drive directly to the nearest station and fill-up . . . leave spare can empty. You will now know how much gas your car can carry in the tank.

Bob Wilson

6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Assuming you got a full fill up on your previous tank (i.e. the pump didn't cut off prematurely when you started this tank), you should be able to make it. 10x your displayed value (57.5 mpg) = 575 miles and that would use 10.5 gallons of gas. The remaining 25 miles would use 0.5 gallons (roughly), thus you'd hit 600 miles and would use 11 gallons of gas, leaving ~ 1 gallon in reserve.

The question is, when you hit 600 miles, will you be near a gas station?

Daddyjeph likes this.
  7. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive primarily back and forth between work, and have probably about 10 gas stations around me. So fill up will not be an issue. I would just plan my trip around 600 miles around a gas station.

I also just picked up a Scan Gauge 2, which hopefully will be here by this weekend so I can actively see how much fuel is left. Ordered it from advanced auto for $117 shipped =)

8. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I made it to 565 once and chickened out. Good luck.

Daddyjeph likes this.
  9. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you really really want to push it, I would carry a gas container with you. Put 2 gallons in the container just in case.

bennela likes this.
  10. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    i'd figure 57.5 *0.95 (to account for 5% error in mpg calcuated by prius) = 54.62 mpg. 54.62 x 10 = 546 miles on 10 gallons. so at 600 miles you'd probably fill up with approx 600/54.62 = 10.98 gallons.
    Your probably safe, but if the temps are hot i wouldn't push it, don't want to risk damage to your fuel pump

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any updates?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ maybe walking down a highway right now ;)

13. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lol, I don't drive that much :) Right now I am at 497.5 miles, and the display shows me having another 23 miles and the last bullet just started blinking.

Kinda wish my scan gauge was here so I could read the exact fuel level. I will fill up the gas container with 1 gallon of gas tomm after work just to make sure. Work is about a 7 mile commute each way, the place I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at is about 8 miles away, so I don't drive a ton. I will go from filling my Jeep up weekly, to filling up the Prius every 3 weeks or so =)

14. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

So that begs the question, is the ECU monitoring/logging fuel fillups, and how long I go beyond DTE?

15. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    no i don't think so, it calculates DTE based on the calculated MPG.

16. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Minus the 2 gallon's or so for safety reasons? =)

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was another discussion here, someone who ran dry AND ran down his battery, trying to limp to a gas station. Not sure, but I believe it takes more than a single gallon if you run dry. Not sure of the number, but maybe 3 gallons?

Just my 2 cents, I really don't see the point of this kind of chase. Why not just go after good mpg, not miles per tank? Safer. ;)

18. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yes, the engineers knew we'd try to strech this beast to its limits so they make it flash quite a bit ahead of time.

19. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well, I should have a scantool of one type or another by Saturday. So I at least will know exactly how much fuel I have remaining. One reason is the same as why I try to beat my best mpg tank, it's a game, and keeps me focusing on the way I drive. Better mpg means higher tank numbers.

More so though, I want to see how far I can go before I am down to 1 gallon. If I can go 605 miles on a tank, instead of 490 <when it started blinking>, for me that is about an extra week I can go without having to fill up. With the weekly gas discounts I get, I may also save like a buck =)

The push for higher tank numbers will lead to better mpg and vice versa.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It takes at least two gallons to turn off 'flash'. One gallon is enough to start the engine and reach urban gas stations. In rural areas, more would be wise.

The only known risks:
    • No overt warning after 2009 - Toyota replied that hiding the 'last of gas is burned' is OK with them. I disagree but it is not my design. There is a subtle indicator, loss of the power-flow arrows in the power flow display of the ZVW30.
    • Three attempts to start on "no gas" locks out further attempts - this requires at a minimum, a 12V power-on-reset to clear the code so the car can start after gas is put in the tank.
    Bob Wilson