1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I install a new cd player myself?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by falcinator, Apr 19, 2006.

1. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I've read a lot of posts here with varying opinions on installing a new cd deck. Most say that Best Buy and Circuit City are of no value but the more likely way of success is through a home installation.

I saw the one PDF file where taking the dash apart in it's eight pieces is cleanly and simply illustrated. I tried popping off the left vent panel this morning and was surprised at how easily it came off.

My question is one of wondering if this is as easy as it seems and why do Best Buy and C.C. seem to shy away from Prius installations. On their websites both stores say that installation is unavailabe.

Oh and I was looking at doing a dual dimm installation with either the Kenwood DPX-501, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7mvgVanR1sO/c...asp?i=113DPX501 or the new Sony MEX GigaPanel, http://mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C4990/.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...!

EDIT:

I just went to Best Buy and the main issue seems that there are no install kits.

I figured out I'd like to get this single DIN JVC,
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lhrliNUv03Z/c...257KDG820&wm=su

Would I be able to fit that in the storage compartment below and just leave the factory player in there, it's the six disc.

Also, I haved a PNP Sirius S50, would I just need to buy one of the direct FM kits for the audio out onthe dock? But where does that wire lead from, the dash...?

Any help?

Thanks!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Having replaced quite a few factory head units (though none on the prius), it really isn't that difficult. There are two key points: first, getting the wires correct (a plug cable would be part of the install kit), and getting it mounted correctly (once again, a mounting bracket would be part of the install kit). If you are looking to do it yourself, go to www.crutchfield.com and search around. if you go to the car adio and select the "find what fits my car" link, you can put in the specifics of your car (you don't have those posted anywhere, so i used my '06 w/ nav) and see the options that fit the car. For me, most of those options have a little exclamation mark saying it requires modification to the car, and recomends you call them for support prior to buying.

When it comes to speedy shipping, low prices, and technical support, i can't speak highly enough about crutchfield. In addition to having equal or cheeper prices than what you can typically find at best buy or the like, they include (free) the harness and wiring stuff you need, plus a printed guide showing all the steps needed to install it.

Calling their tech line is great, the people there are extremely helpful and really know their stuff. when i was installing my sub, i needed to know which wires off the factory amp to tap, and rather than try to describe it to me over the phone (with the possible problems in understanding), they e-mailed me the pinouts and the wire colors, no questions asked. you can't ask for more than that.

So if people here can't answer your question with sufficient knowledge, give them a call and see what they say.

Disclaimer: I do not currently, nor have i ever, worked for crutchfield, nor do i receive any sort of commision or free stuff for hyping them. They are simply the best resource for car audio i've ever encountered.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 19 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]242407[/snapback]</div>
    I 2nd this posting!!! crutfield is the only place I buy car audio from..

4. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Actually I did check that site, it is terrific by the way and no they do not have a mounting kit for my 04' Prius. Sorry I forgot to mention that. It has NAV plus the 6 CD JBL speaker kit. I will call them and ask their recommendations but so far Best Buy and Circuit City both say that no such install kit exists......?

Thank you for the suggestion...!

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ Apr 19 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]242148[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if you happen to live in Colorado and have an 06, I'll trade labor for the install for your old stereo. YES, there is a dash kit available:

http://www.installer-data.com/item/display....php?it=99-8213

I would go this route because you will have two pockets when you are done, and can see the display without opening the door.

Nate

I just found a better price on the kit:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/998213.html

Nate

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would be careful with that, though... not all aftermarket systems are the same size, do unfortunately mounting kits usually aren't a one-size fits all kinda thing...

7. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Hmmn, too bad I live in PA. Thanks for those two links!

I'd kinda like to try and keep the look of the dash intact, I.E. leave the factory player in if possible and mount the new deck, a single din, in the storage box underneath the player. Do I have to disconnect the original player's power supply or can I daisy chain it to the new player?

And would I even need a mounting kit for the lower compartment? I'd rather have it there and just flip the door down out of security reasons I think and to retain the look of the manufacturer.

Thanks guys for all your help.....! :D

8. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I added a VGA monitor by removing the storage compartment. The only problem I ran into was that you have no mounting brackets to secure the new device. I also had to loose the front cover to allow the screen to extend, but that should not be a problem.

As far as taking the dash apart, the directions on this site are excellent. When removing the right air vent, you want to try pulling it out without removing the other panels that are suggested. They are interlocked so don't do it, remove all the panels in the order that the guides suggest and the dash comes apart easily and if you ever have a problem you will know how to fix it yourself without having to go back to BestBuy.

Have fun,
    ---Kent

9. falcinator

falcinator New Member

That's pretty nice work you did there! So you didn't bother using a mounting bracket? Does it rattle at all? I'm not sure if the mounting bracket is necessary myself.

How exactly did you wire the monitor and did it invovle the wiring assembly behind the third air vent? Umm what exactly does it do anyhow?

And yeah, I've already popped off the 1st and 3rd vents just to see how easy it could be done and I was pleasantly surprised!

10. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The VGA Touchscreen unit I used does not have any facility to use a mounting bracket. Fortunately, the unit fit so tight that I do not have any rattles at this point. I did place a small piece of foam between the normal radio and the VGA screen.

As far as the wiring goes, I used one of the stereo tubes to bring the VGA cable and the USB cable for the touch screen. The tube comes out of the left side of the passenger seat and goes to the bottom near the accessory plug.

All this is for wireless Internet.. I can play phone messages through the car audio system without using a phone. I can also delete messages once I call them back. I do technical support for a living. Believe it or not, I'm taking my eyes off the road less, since I don't have to dial a phone.

---Kent

11. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I checked out the photos on your site. So how exactly do you keep the pc cool in the trunk and where does it receive it's power from, and the monitor as well...?

I'm just wondering if I can leave the six disc player in there while sI till being able to connect a new deck beneath it. All this just so I can plug a my zen micro into the dash, too bad I have an 04'.

12. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ Apr 20 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]242791[/snapback]</div>
    The 6-cd changer is integrated with the JBL head unit so it won't be an issue of having to remove it if you are installing the new stereo in the storage bin right below the stock stereo should work. The screens I have installed in my Prius and my cousins' are supposedly 1 DIN in size. My cousin's screen was a tighter fit than mine. If holes don't line up when you install the headunit, just drill some new ones into the bracket, and you'll be good to go.

Power for my computer is supplied from the 12V battery in the trunk. The computer doens't need too much cooling. It just sits under the drivers seat. The big hassle is running all the cables and cutting various chunks of the car :)

13. falcinator

falcinator New Member

That pic you have on your site titled "crazy wires", umm that wire assembly has nothing to do with an installation of this nature, does it? It scared the crap out of me when I popped that vent off earlier today.

So where does the wiring for your touch screen go? It doesn't have anything to do with the head unit of the cd player, does it? I'm getting a bit confused now.....well more so! :blink:

14. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ Apr 20 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]242832[/snapback]</div>
    haha.. don't worry about those crazy wires.. i just got a picture of it because i haven't seen that many wires in a car before.

installing a new head unit is far less trouble than installing a computer in the car. i'm still not done yet, either... so many more things to install and perfect. the only connection my system has to the stock stereo is the output from the jbl amp going into the line-in on the computer so i can still listen to the hockey game on the AM band of the stereo. I havent used the JBL in a few months now.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Falcinator asked me to jump in here. I would have some questions before I would proceed to answer.

1. Do you have JBL, JBL & NAV? If so, do you want to keep the JBL? What year is the car? It sounds like you have JBL since you mention the 6 CD changer, but you can have that without NAV, especially with 2006. I am not sure about 2006, but 2004/2005 you can remove the head unit (and thus might as well remove the amp), though you'll lose the beeps from the MFD. If you do remove the JBL head unit, you have to place a 160 ohm resistor across the Tx+ and TX-, as these are the communications network lines for the audio/visual system, and need to be terminated. This is much like Ethernet.

If you keep the JBL setup, how are you planning to switch over the speakers from the JBL to the 2nd head unit? For JBL, the front tweeter and fullrange are driven separately, so keep that in mind if you are putting the 2 systems in tandem.

Does anyone know if that aftermarket dash kit is for the upper DIN (where the radio currently exists) or for the drawer area under the radio?

16. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Apr 20 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]242871[/snapback]</div>
    It must be the upper as it provides a extra pocket for the space below the HU. I'm looking for a kit for the lower space myself for a indash pc monitor.

17. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Thanks again guys for the input!

DanMan32, I have an 04' with JBL and NAV.

Hmmn, the more I get invovled with this project the more I seem to find myself in over my head. I assumed I could just disconnect the existing connections and reconnect them into the new player and place it immediately underneath where the extra compartment lies.

But......you say I'd be losing functions such as the player being tied into the NAV system, would the audio info still pop up on the NAV screen? Or are you just stating that the "beeps" inherent to the JBL player would no longer exist....?

I was fairly gungho on doing this myself but I started to cringe a bit when the Best Buy tech starting telling me about splitting and tying wires together to fit into a harness. I have no qualms about taking apart the dash though.

I also found out that the only way to connect my Sirius S50 is through a wired FM connection and not digitally like a permanent tuner.

Oh and this is the model I was planning on buying. It's one din and I hope would fit without an instillation kit in the lower compartment.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lhrliNUv03Z/c...=300#morephotos

18. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Well this looks like a bust. From calling around local Best Buy's I am getting the impression that the JBL amp would need to be rewired directly to the aftermarket radio, could take hours at a cost of $60 an hour, ugh. Could be more than $300 in labor plus $300 for parts and the radio. All I wanted was a direct USB port. Would be excellent if it was indash.

19. falcinator

falcinator New Member

UPDATE....

So I went to Best Buy to try the simple alternative of buying a generic AUX-BOX from http://peripheralelectronics.com, this company.

After a lot of fumbing with all the different harnesses one finally snapped in on the proper wire. Problem is it's not being recognized and neither is my cd player, the player is powered but can not play discs. I installed it in the second slot over from the right.

So....I'm considering just buying the stereo I wanted, disassembling the dash, even just to get this piece of crap aux-box out, and seeing if I can get sound in to the new deck.

Since this is the JBL system, how can I do this in the simplest way?

Thanks again.....!

20. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ Apr 22 2006, 06:15 AM) [snapback]243576[/snapback]</div>

The Aux-Box emulates a CD Changer. The radio in the 04/05 Prius cannot understand two changers, so the built-in changer and Aux Box conflict. I had the iPod2Car and it conflicted with the Factory XM Radio. I don’t think these are well designed devices.
    You will need an Aux-in that can emulate a MD changer that the radio understands.
    The only one I know of is the Vais Tech SLU.
    http://www.vaistech.com/slu.html