1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I just get a new tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drpointer, Jan 31, 2006.

1. drpointer

drpointer New Member

I can't believe it, but the rear pass. tire blew out today.
    the 06 has no roadside, so...AAA to the rescue.
    Now i have donut on there, and am contemplating new tires...

I've read some confusing stuff on the site, so wanted to get some clarification please...

-should i get the "comfortread" that everyone is talking about?
    -if I do get a new tire, is there anything special I should do afterwards?
    -Should I hit the reset button under the steering wheel?

BTW after blowing out the tire, i met a guy who has another 06 , and he never heard of PriusChat, so I told him to join!!

thanks guys.
    phoenix, package nl 7 with 3 oem integrity's and one yellow/orange donut. :(

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, yuck, they still have that yellow-orange donut huh? sorry to hear about your blowout :(

if you intended on getting a new set of tires, i'd say now is the time if you can afford to do so. if you get a new integrity from goodyear you're going to notice a difference- there's a difference between oem tires and goodyear tires. it'll run the same, but it'll likely last longer. you might consider upgrading, there are a few different tire options here- just do a search on "tires" and you'll see hundreds of posts regarding what tires are good, what mpg hit you'll see, etc.

as far as the reset button, i don't think the donut has a sensor on it (mine's an 05 and i'm working purely on theory here), and if the car's getting signal from your flat (assuming it's in your hatch for now) it'll kick on that light. when it's not getting signal from the wheel at all, it'll kick on the light. either way you're going to have that light staring you in the face till you decide what to do and get that donut off.

good luck :)

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How many miles do you have on your current tires?

I see no reason replacing all four tires if they are relativley new. I would just replace the blown tire with whatever is on your car. You shouldn't run on different tires though (esp 1 different tire).

I've read that the comfortthread goodyear (I think that is what they are called) are quieter and last longer but it seems a little excecssive to replace all 4 tires. I think I will switch to them once my OEMs wear out.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your tire warranty, I believe there is a road hazard clause that would cover at least a part of the cost of a new Integrity.