1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I move a 2010 JBL head unit to a 2015 non-JBL car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wsalopek, Jun 15, 2020.

1. wsalopek

wsalopek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks...

Subject says it all. Our 2010 with 235k miles (still on original battery) had the head gasket blow (K-seal gave it 6 extra months of life), and while we might wanna find a used engine and replace it, we might not.

We also have a 2015 plug-in, and I'd like to move the JBL head unit from the 2010 to the 2015 which does not have JBL.

Will that work?

Reason is we like the GPS from the old car better, and just in general that head unit seems to work better (for example the 2015 head unit frequently won't re-connect to a Bluetooth phone, no matter how hard we try (we have to shut the car off and turn it back on)...and Toyota is no help.

Anyway...

Will the swap work? What about the various car settings in the menus?

Or maybe I should just find an aftermarket Android Auto-type head unit for the 2015? And what about the car menu items in THAT case?

Thanks...

2. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Head unit from 2010 is incompatible with 2015.
    Go for Android. You'll lose the car menu items, but all of them will still be accessible via Techstream.

3. wsalopek

wsalopek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Incompatible. OK...that makes the decision easy. Did you install a particular Android Auto head unit? If so, which one and do you still like it? Thanks...

4. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I went for the Sinosmart brand, bought it on AliExpress:
    Sinosmart Android 8.1 Car for Toyota Prius 2009 2010 2011 GPS Navigation Radio 2din 2.5D IPS/QLED Screen|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

I chose the 4GB ram / 64 GB rom model with Wifi/4G modem, Canbus adapter and QLED screen.
    Been using it since March, everything has been flawless - no hiccups, no restarts, the performance is top notch.
    Best upgrade ever.
    The installation WAS NOT plug and play though. The steering wheel controls and backup camera wasn't working out of the box. I got the wrong harness (because my Prius is MY15, and officially they don't "support" it), so had to look up pin layouts and make some changes.

[​IMG]

5. wsalopek

wsalopek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.

That looks like a very nice unit...good price as well.

So with the wifi/4G...there's a place for a sim card in there? And then you have another "device" account with your cell phone carrier? If a person didn't do wifi/4G, how are apps updated and such?

Also, as far as the harness...are you saying the correct harness doesn't exist?

And finally, what does the canbus adapter do?

Thanks very much for the tips and info. Much appreciated.

--

Bill

6. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I see the seller has updated their page, and now there's another entry for 2012-2015 cars with "factory OEM reverse Camera/JBL".
    I'd take that info with a grain of salt.
    Sinosmart Black/Grey/Silver Car GPS player for Toyota Prius Left Hand 2012 2015 with factory OEM Reverse Camera/JBL Built in DSP|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

AFAIK, all of these 9" Prius compatible units are made at a single factory. All their backplates look the same and have identical pinouts. The difference basically boils down to CPU speed, amount of RAM / ROM, Android versions and accessories that the vendor provides.

[​IMG]

Yes, there's a cable with a sim card slot at the end.
    I use a prepaid sim card and swap it with a new one every month, BECAUSE I'M CHEAP.
    For less than three Euros I get 8 GB of data with unlimited Spotify streaming.
    I could use hotspot from my phone, but it's too much hassle turning it on everytime I get into the car.
    This headunit is, for all intents and purposes, just an Android tablet with all the Google App functionality, so the apps have to be updated via Play Store.
    I have my Google account set up, so everything syncs and updates just as in my Android phone - Gmail, Maps, Waze, Youtube, even Facebook and whatnot.

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe they've modified it after I bugged them for quite a while about sending me the wrong harness?
    Also, by "wrong harness" I mean that one connector was incompatible. Everything else worked. Let me explain.
    My stock Prius headunit (57034) has a 16 pin connector and a 28 pin connector.
    Four pins from the 16 pin connector are used for backup camera.
    Three pins from the 28 pin connector are used for steering wheel controls (SWC).
    The Sinosmart headunit came with a 20 pin connector. I had to use three pins form that for the SWC. That was the easy part.
    The hard part was connecting the factory backup camera.
    I had to find and connect the pins for:
    Reverse signal (for activating the camera);
    Video signal and ground;
    6V+ for the camera (canbus adapter took care of that, didn't need a 12V to 6V converter) and ground.
    It took me several evenings to finish. Now I could do it in a matter of minutes.
    It's EASY when you know what you're doing and have the right tools.
    I have ZERO background in electronics.

It is required for JBL audio and can display other car related features on the screen (for example, duplicate climate controls on the screen, show trip info, consumption etc.)
    Basically, if your Prius Plug-In doesn't have JBL, then canbus adapter probably isn't required. Probably.
    My car has JBL, so I paid for the adapter, and did get one.
    But there also was another, smaller, unmarked canbus box in the package. Go figure.
    Anyway, JBL works flawlessly with the provided adapter (and the sound is way better than stock), so no worries there, but other aforementioned features don't, and I didn't feel the need for them.
    BTW, when I go deep into factory settings, the canbus is displayed as compatible with Toyota RAV4. There's no mention of Prius anywhere.

#6 Karolis, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. wsalopek

wsalopek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all that info...really good stuff. If I go down this road I may hit you up with a couple more questions.

So you are located in Lithuania? I'm actually half Lithuanian...but never been there. My grandparents on my mom's side came to America around 1910.

--

Bill

8. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sure, just let me know if you'll go down this rabbit hole.

Yes, I'm from LTU. Small world, heh? I know there were quite a significant number of people at the start of the 20th century that left Lithuania (which was still part of Russian Empire till the end of Wold War I) and came to USA.
    If you'll ever decide to visit the country of your ancestors, just let me know - I'd be more than happy to help!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Popcorn prius

Popcorn prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the sinosmart as well but I can't attach the mounting bracket to the head unit! How did you guys mount it, just clipped it to fascia and pushed it in without mounts?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.