1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I put another set of wheels/tires from another Prius Touring on my car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by andrewsilver, Dec 20, 2009.

1. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Quick question: Can I take a set of tires and wheels off of another 2007 Prius Touring and install them on my 2007 Prius Touring - or will it affect the Tire Pressure Monitoring system?

Since the other wheels/tires have a different TPS code, can I just reset the TPS button on my car and it should work - or do I have to bring the car to Toyota and pay them to register the new tires/wheels?

Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will need to have the new codes registered on the TPMS ECU which requires a dealer visit. If you don't know the codes, the tires will have to be unmounted so that the codes marked on the sensors can be recorded.

3. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Patrick. I was afraid of that.

Does Toyota typically charge for registering the new codes?
    Are the codes stored anywhere else - like in the owner's manual or on the original bill of sale for the vehicle?
    Are the codes different on each wheel, or can I just unmount one wheel to get the code?

Thanks!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would expect the dealer to impose a labor charge. The code is unique on each wheel's sensor. I'm not aware of an owner document listing the codes.