1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I sell an unused key fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by livelychick, May 16, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi all--
    So my Prius was totalled. I have an extra key fob that I never used. Can I sell it? Can it be reprogrammed? Just curious...I checked eBay but saw nothing like it...

Thanks in advance...

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi livelychick - sorry to hear that you lost your Prius. :(

ebay is a great way to go for unloading the extra fob - especially if the key is uncut. There are no auctions now (I have "prius fob" on a search-watch) but they pop up every now and then. Most of them are either huge lots of various fobs, or used fobs being sold at rather high opening bids (~120.00 for a fob with a cut key). Fobs with uncut keys will definitely attract more bidders and higher prices but even a used fob will grab a few bids at least (assuming a reasonable starting bid).

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 16 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]443815[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it can be programmed for another prius.

here is a link to one being sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2005-2...sspagenameZWD1V

I bought one used on ebay for $75.00
    I priced a new one from toyota and it was $200.00 plus $50.00 to program it.

If you are going to buy another prius, you might want to keep it and have it programmed for your new prius.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are at least 3 versions of the Prius keyfob. The black logo version does not have the SmartKey function, which means that you use the buttons on the keyfob to lock/unlock the door, and then plug the keyfob into the dash to run the car. There are 2 versions of the silver logo keyfob. The first one was sold with the 2004 Prius. I don't know exactly when they changed, but by 2006 there was a new version that will work with any (2004-2007) Prius. A 2004 keyfob will not work with a 2005? 2006/2007 Prius. Something about a conflict with some gas pump equipment.

The keyfob is not programmed. It is what it is, and it is not changed when it is assigned to a particular car. What is changed is that the key identification is added to the computer in the car. Each car can recognize up to 5 keys.

There are 4 locking systems in the keyfob. The one that is usually in use is the SmartKey function. The car periodically broadcasts a signal that reaches about 9 feet away from the doors, and the keyfob responds with its identification when it hears the car. If the car computer recognizes the key identification, then the door lock & Power keys are enabled. The keyfob requires a live battery in it to send the SmartKey reply to the car, so this function drops out when the battery in the keyfob wears out.

The second locking system in the keyfob is the remote control type function where you press the lock/unlock/panic keys. The range is about 30 feet, and also uses the keyfob battery. This system is for the doors only - it doesn't unlock the ignition.

The third locking system is a transponder, the same as is used in ordinary transponder car keys. It is used only when the keyfob is inserted into the keyslot in the dash. Power for the transponder is broadcast from the car, so it works even if the battery in the keyfob is dead. Of course, if the car battery is dead, then the transponder function isn't going to work either.

The fourth locking system is an ordinary mechanical key. It uses no electronics at all, and will lock/unlock the driver side door. The key shape is the same as Toyota has used for many years. The early Prius uses the same key shape (plus a similar transponder). Earlier Toyotas used the same key shape without a transponder.

A keyfob that comes with a car has the mechanical key cut for that car. It obviously isn't going to work on a different car. An uncut mechanical key is available from Toyota Parts for about $7 each. It can be cut by any locksmith for a few dollars. I had one cut at the local hardware store, and they botched the job (goodbye $7). I'd recommend that you have a replacement mechanical key cut by a real locksmith who has a better chance of doing the job right.

If you're selling a keyfob on eBay, you should show a picture of the identification numbers inside the keyfob (next to the battery cover). The numbers on my 2006 keyfob are: "MDL B31EG", "FCC ID:MOZB31EG", "IC:2584A - B31EG", "TOKAI RICA CO., LTD." The earlier 2004 keyfob probably uses different numbers. Maybe someone with a 2004 can report their numbers?

You should also include a picture that shows the silver logo, and mention the color. A black logo keyfob doesn't have the SmartKey function, and should sell for less.

5. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    RobH-

I just checked my 2004 keyfob (with SKS) and the numbers match yours exactly. So maybe there are no changes? Or the numbers just don't reflect them.

-Peter B

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobH @ May 17 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]444550[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Thanks. You have a ton of info. I posted it on eBay and already have a bidder. I'm going to go back an update my post, though. It is a SmartKey, and I'll include that info on the post.

Thanks!

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bummer that the 2004 keyfob numbers are the same as the 2006. There are two different part numbers for the different SmartKey keyfobs, but apparently you can't tell the difference by looking at the actual parts. There is at least one honest eBay vendor who identifies his parts as being compatible with 2004 only. I guess he got a deal from a Toyota dealer unloading the single year parts. If a vendor doesn't identify the year of the part, then be wary that it may be for 2004 only. Of course if you have a 2004, then you can save a few bucks by getting the single year part.

8. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ May 17 2007, 04:36 AM) [snapback]444021[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone knows how to reprogram the fob?
    My first prius (2007) was totaled I was allowed to keep 1 FOB, I bought another Prius (2007), anyone knows how to reprogram my 'old' fob to my new Prius?

thanks

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ Sep 21 2007, 07:38 PM) [snapback]515985[/snapback]</div>
    Take it to a dealer, unless you know someone with the special equipment for programming fobs.

Tom

10. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know how much dealers charge for reprogramming?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobH @ May 18 2007, 03:24 AM) [snapback]444712[/snapback]</div>
    So something changed? Toyota told me (when I got a free one from them under warranty) the '04 - '07 were all the same, except for smart functions: silver logo for smart key and no silver logo for non-smart fobs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kablooie @ Sep 23 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]516577[/snapback]</div>
    Call to confirm, but it was appx $100 when the '04 first came out.