1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I shorten the gear shift lever on 2002 Prius?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by fredtravis, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fredtravis

fredtravis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm enjoying my 2002 Prius, but I find the gear shift level is in the way of accessing the central panel with radio etc.
    Can it be shortened?
    THanks
    Fred

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mechanically, I guess you'd be looking at removing the plastic grip and shortening the metal tube, and somehow shortening the release-button linkage by the same amount, and maybe putting the grip back on (or a shorter one).

Or, considering that except for the mechanical cable that puts the transaxle in Park, the lever sends strictly electrical inputs to the HV ECU, you could consider removing it completely and fabricating whatever electrical control you would like instead (plus something mechanical for the park cable). Maybe you could cobble something up with the pushbutton bar from an old blender. Or just a 5-position double-pole rotary switch. In some nice gray plastic enclosure to match the dash. That would be a pretty funky mod, so a forum post with pics would probably be required. :D

Double-pole because you need to send the ECU two signals that confirm each other: one over a group of five wires where you energize the one you want, the other over a single wire where you apply a specific voltage for each setting. If the two don't match, the ECU decides something's wrong with the shift lever. Details in the shop manual.

-Chap

3. Irrenarzt

Irrenarzt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds like a lot of work for minimal gains. I actually like the stock lever.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... and usually just keep it on Puree, but on long steep downgrades use Fold & Mix.

Or build an electrical interface to last year's smartphone, and write an app for voice commands. Then be careful what you say while cruising down the road.

-Chap